Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Mary or Marie? Your favourites?

So I love the look of Marie for a girl, but I am from Australia and when I say it with correct mar-ree pronounciation, I feel like I am saying Murray. While when I have heard it in American films it is pronounced Mer-ree almost. Maybe its just our different accents!
    Anyway, I love the sound of Mary, but I don't know because I was thinking the Marie spelling would be used to honour someone because I am a huge history buff! Which do you prefer? Ignore my rant, its just I hate how my accent changes things! :P

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

Personally, I prefer Marie spelling.

I am American living in Australia.

I grew up saying Marie as muh-REE (almost like m'REE). Accent completely on the second syllable and not the first. It feels very soft and gentle and eyelet-lace to me like that.

Aussie say MAR-ee? My grandmother-in-law is a MAR-ee. Spelt Marie all the same, but totally different in sound.

I was told once in Oz to spell it Maree if I want Aussies to say it muh-REE - but then Americans won't know how to say it. And it looks rather kreatived to me. I'm a huge fan of Marie, the spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    I am American living in Australia.

I grew up saying Marie as muh-REE (almost like m'REE). Accent completely on the second syllable and not the first. It feels very soft and gentle and eyelet-lace to me like that.

Aussie say MAR-ee? My grandmother-in-law is a MAR-ee. Spelt Marie all the same, but totally different in sound.

I was told once in Oz to spell it Maree if I want Aussies to say it muh-REE - but then Americans won't know how to say it. And it looks rather kreatived to me. I'm a huge fan of Marie, the spelling.
    Sounds like you get where I am coming from! haha.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

I'm split on whether to use it anyway and just correct people. It's not so popular on the younger generation that it couldn't work...?

Of course I have an advantage you don't, I have the built in "oh, her mother was a Yank and didn't know any better."