Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I could never consider UC or a home birth because things CAN go wrong and if they do, you have a better chance of survival (be yours or the child) by being in a hospital where they can take immediate action.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    I could never consider UC or a home birth because things CAN go wrong and if they do, you have a better chance of survival (be yours or the child) by being in a hospital where they can take immediate action.
    Midwives can take immediate action for the majority of the problems that could occur during birth. They carry meds and oxygen, for example. But basically, the very general statement you made isn't actually demonstrated by well-done research studies. It is simply not true that moms and babies have a better chance of survival by being in a hospital, when the mom is low-risk, has had good prenatal care, and the homebirth is planned. There are a lot of studies, books, blogs, etc. that you could read on the topic if you're actually interested in learning more about why the statement you made isn't true. (Now deciding home birth isn't for you is fine, but just do so knowing the evidence!)

UC is another thing (I don't know the stats on that b/c I never considered it).

Edited to add: When there is a problem that occurs which is outside the scope of what a midwife can handle, or when things just aren't proceeding "normally", the majority of the time midwives can get you transferred to a hospital in time because they're there constantly monitoring you, so they can often recognize these problems before it's too late.
    Last edited by aguafresca; December 5th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Lucía, Sebastián, & Inés
    Next: Eloísa Pilar or Félix Ignacio

Quote Originally Posted by aguafresca View Post
    When there is a problem that occurs which is outside the scope of what a midwife can handle, or when things just aren't proceeding "normally", the majority of the time midwives can get you transferred to a hospital in time because they're there constantly monitoring you, so they can often recognize these problems before it's too late.
    This was what I was talking about, and I'd rather not have to worry about being taken to a hospital if I by chance begin to bleed to death or some other severe issue that a midwife can't handle. I'm sure midwives are good for a healthy normal birth, but there is no guarantee. You can be perfectly healthy still have the chance of dying during childbirth. Basically I'm just not a risk taker and that's just me.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    This was what I was talking about, and I'd rather not have to worry about being taken to a hospital if I by chance begin to bleed to death or some other severe issue that a midwife can't handle. I'm sure midwives are good for a healthy normal birth, but there is no guarantee. You can be perfectly healthy still have the chance of dying during childbirth. Basically I'm just not a risk taker and that's just me.
    There are plenty of studies showing that a healthy low risk delivery handled by trained midwives statistically has the same outcome in terms of death and injury as a hospital birth. I think that's why aguafresca was recommending being educated on it, whether its the choice for you or not. I think it must be frustrating to people who choose midwives over the hospital to hear others talk about how "unsafe" it is when they have not taken the opportunity to look into the abundance of information available on the subject.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    There are plenty of studies showing that a healthy low risk delivery handled by trained midwives statistically has the same outcome in terms of death and injury as a hospital birth. I think that's why aguafresca was recommending being educated on it, whether its the choice for you or not. I think it must be frustrating to people who choose midwives over the hospital to hear others talk about how "unsafe" it is when they have not taken the opportunity to look into the abundance of information available on the subject.
    While I know HB is not everyones first choice, I have had 2 (Linus and Violet) and if all goes as planned, this one will be too. I live in PA where there are lots of MW's readily avaiable to do HB's due to a high population of Amish and Mennotite women (I obviously am neither ) and I have chosen MW's who not only have nursing degrees, but, have been working for years in the hospital, birth center, and HB world. My MW's both have back up physicians that I am able to see (will meet this one next month) and have hospital priveledges if a transfer is needed. With Linus and Vio, we were less than 10 minutes away from one hospital, and with the new home where we just moved, 5 minutes away. My MW's carry pitocin (for hemmorage), anything needed for group B strep prevention needed labor (had to get the abx during Vio's), oxygen, and other basic tools to use if needed. They can do anything but a c-section, which has been talked about previously so I wish not to hash through it again. Not because I do not know of the risks, but because I feel the way I do and others feel the way tbey do and nobody is going to change anyones mind over the "what ifs". Trust me, my father is a physician (dermatology, but he still knows enough about basic hospital delivery as he did med school and obgyn rotation during residency), my mother and sister are both RN's (mom is retired, sister is not) so I come from a backround of knowing why people feel safer in a hospital etc. As I said before, Linus had shoulder distoscia, he alsohad the cord wrapped tightly around his neck and a knot in the cord. Vio had a long labor but easy delivery. Only issue with her was being Coombs positive which wasfound after her first day and resolved with her first week or so while I consulted our pediatrician. I have alwaysneeded the rhogham shot and gotten those during pregnancy and after birth (or loss) in the care of my mw and so far so good.

My husband and I do not consider ourselves neglegent, nor do we feel ill informed. I do not claim a "Google MD" like I know many in the natural birth world do, nor do I feel we choose our midwives "just because". If I wanted a MW who only carries herbs as medicine, I know where to find one, but its not for me. All this to say, statistics speak on so many levels, a near 45% csection rate at a local hospital can also meanrepeats, high risk situations, and not just an "impatient dr quick to go golfing" as is the phrase I hear often in my natural mothers community. I will also say that Sebastian was about 10 minutes away from being a csection for no other reason then that I signed up for the hospital and rode their hospital ride of procedures (aka, it was not life or death). He was almost circumsized against our will. He was given glucose water without my consultation, and there were other things that made me question why certain things are done when all is well (as his labor was) and why. Bronwen was born in the same place, natural birth, but still, many hoops to jump through in order to make that happen. I wasnt asking for thelights dimmed and a certain song to be playing as I pushed, but, I was treated like crap and so were my babies after delivery and during our stay. Anyways, like I said I am not trying to change minds. I know of the "what ifs" and I honestly feel very safe giving birth as I do.

There it is in a nutshell.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)