Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Alfie?

Alfie? (edit: Dec 1st)

I recently started writing something little that began as a little exercise to distract me from another failing work, and now this new piece if taking on a life of its own and seems to be turning into an epic fantasy. (I know, I'm just as shocked as you are.) I'm trying to use names that are real but not extraordinarily common, but I'm not that picky.

One of the characters (I think his name is Samson) has a daughter at the beginning of the story. He loses his wife in the birth of this daughter, so he names the girl after his wife. I keep feeling like the girl's name is Alfie, but that's a predominantly male name, and I'm afraid it will give some people the wrong idea (I keep picturing her as a sprightly little seven-year-old, even though she's a newborn in the story). Any ideas or suggestions?

(And while you're at it, I need a name for the new king. He was the younger brother of the heir, but his father and older brother led the troops into battle against their enemy, and both died. Bad security, I know, but his father was that kind of king. He, on the other hand, is not. He was raised his whole life to be quiet and beneath his brother, and now he's drunk on power and grief. He's not exactly the nicest guy, but he's doing the best he can. I'm thinking Jonah or Micah or something like that, but I don't love the sound of either of those).

Thanks in advance!

*Edit, December 1st*

Another complete, fully formed, stubbornly named character has popped into my head and insisted her name is Eden and her twin brother's name is Patrick. Neither of these names seem to fit the feel I'm going for. Any tips? (Hrmph. Stupid characters.)

And a couple more names that might fit the king: Cassian, Damian, Jacob.
    Last edited by akky3210; December 1st, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    I see no issue with Alfie. Could be short for or named after Alfreda.

Caius
    Ezra
    Teodor
    Malik
    Cassian
    Mordecai
    Cyrus
    Salathiel
    Emil
    Amber. 17. Happy Hallowe'en.
    Roxana \ Marilyn ≶ Ксения \ Милана \ Алёна \ Арина \ Злата
    Даниил / Роман / Артемий ≶ Victor / Myron / Sylvan / Vincent / Lucien

Ooh, I like Cassian. That's a definite possibility. Thanks.
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*

I'd say, for the king, name him Joseph nn Joe, or Cassius. For the daughter, you are right. It sounds like Alfred. Try Crystal for the daughter, and the twins, the girl Kyra and the boy Destin.