Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    My brother's name is Benjamin, and we've just never shortened it. I think he goes by Ben at school sometimes, but at home he's always Benjamin. It's funny, because his twin, Adam, gets shortened to Addy quite frequently. Benjamin's occasional nickname is Teddy (a situational nickname that in no way derives from his actual name.)

So, I guess there's really no way of predicting or controlling what people are going to call your child/your child is going to call him or herself.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

My brother's name is Benjamin, and we've just never shortened it. I think he goes by Ben at school sometimes, but at home he's always Benjamin. It's funny, because his twin, Adam, gets shortened to Addy quite frequently. Benjamin's occasional nickname is Teddy (a situational nickname that in no way derives from his actual name.)

So, I guess there's really no way of predicting or controlling what people are going to call your child/your child is going to call him or herself.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by klh1980 View Post
    I also have to vote "no". I love the name Frederick, but I sadly crossed it off our list because I strongly dislike Fred and Freddie. I just don't want to have to correct everyone all the time, and part of me feels like Fred is unavoidable. It's so disappointing because I think Frederick is such a great name, but my love for Frederick doesn't outweigh my dislike of Fred. Oh well!
    This amused me to see you say you crossed Frederick off because you dislike Fred... then I look in your signature and see that little Frederik was born in February. Congrats. I guess its possible to overcome dislikes after all!

We went with Maximus and resisted "Max" for a long time because he has a cousin Maximilian "Max". But I recently find myself introducing him as just Max since most older people or "non-name nerds" look at me like I'm crazy for "Maximus" and don't understand.

But to answer your question, No, I sadly won't use a full name if I hate the nickname. I love Alaric and Alistair and Altair and Aleron but won't use them because I'd hate it if he were called Al and there aren't very good nickname possibilities. I did fear Dante being called Dan/Don but decided that was a silly fear since its not obvious and the name is so short so we're going for Dante anyway.

I don't like Ben at all, but Benjamin isn't bad, especially if he's into music, he could go by Jam or Jammin'.
    Last edited by karacavazos; May 11th, 2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Maximus Alexander's Mama
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"

If you hate all possible nns don't use the name. I know someone you named their son Richard (family name) though they hated all the common nns (Dick, Rick, Rich, Etc). At some point, he chose to go by Rich and I see that is the name he uses on Facebook. You really have no control of the nn use after they reach school age.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

I have those feelings for Nathaniel, looove Nathaniel hate Nate & Nathan. In the end I moved it to a middle name because I can't get passed the possibility of my son wanting to go by those nicknames.
    Last edited by dayken95; May 11th, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
    Dayton.19.*Hopeful* Future Mom
    Naming future twinkles...
    Girlies:Aella Dorothy {Poem}.Judah Biet {Catherine}.Owen Tallulah {Mary}
    Guys:Sebastien Quade "Sacha".Eden Trust.Amias Sage "Mia"(My-uh)
    Pondering: Lemon