Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I have two students named Katherine/Catherine and neither gets called by any of the common or uncommon Catherine nn. Full names all the time. And I teach high school, which means they have made it through 11 years of school without a nn. Most teachers ask students if they prefer a nn or a full name, in my experience. So therefore, yes, I would use a name even if I hated the nickname because I think it's possible to have most people call the child by the full name.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

More of my students (in college, none the less) seem to be going by their full names, so there is hope as long as the child is on board, as dindlee noted in her post. As for me, though, Nikolai is out the window because I don't like Nick, and Nikolai is in good company with many other names that I tossed out due to nicknames.

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    Also, just because you "hate" the nickname Ben doesn't mean your son will. Ben might fit him perfectly, and it might be the name your son chooses to call himself. There's really nothing you can do about it.
    +1 to this!
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I feel like most people will respect your wishes if you tell them to use his full name. However, there will be people who will repeatedly ignore you and call him whatever they want to. I'm Alexandra and go by Alex, either of which is acceptable. I had a coworker that called me Al. I told her over and over that I didn't like it, then just stopped responding when she called me that and when I left that job 2 years later, she was still calling me Al.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfualex View Post
    I feel like most people will respect your wishes if you tell them to use his full name. However, there will be people who will repeatedly ignore you and call him whatever they want to. I'm Alexandra and go by Alex, either of which is acceptable. I had a coworker that called me Al. I told her over and over that I didn't like it, then just stopped responding when she called me that and when I left that job 2 years later, she was still calling me Al.
    Are you kidding? What a rude little troll. What in the world makes a person think they can call you by a name that isn't your name?? How annoying. I would have probably had a few names for her myself if I'd been in your shoes. Ridiculous. My name is Erica, and I've had people try to shorten that (Eri, Ric) but they've always called me Erica when I request that they do so.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander