Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    It would depend how inevitable the disliked nickname was.

I went through an Evie phase about 6 years ago where I was considering all the routes to it as a nickname, and my then-favorite Evelyn made me too nervous as I dislike Lynn. It wasn't even the most logical nickname, but I eventually fell out of love with Evelyn due to the Lynn connection.

Now, I don't consider names unless I like both the full name and the logical nickname possibilities (preferably all of them). You can try to impose a full-name-only policy on your kids, but it'll only work until they develop minds of their own. It amazes me how little this is brought up in these types of discussions... your babies are PEOPLE and will one day choose nicknames of their own. The only POSSIBLE way to keep a Benjamin from going by Ben is to totally poison the name for him as well, which really isn't worth doing and is kind of unfair to the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by klh1980 View Post
    I also have to vote "no". I love the name Frederick, but I sadly crossed it off our list because I strongly dislike Fred and Freddie. I just don't want to have to correct everyone all the time, and part of me feels like Fred is unavoidable. It's so disappointing because I think Frederick is such a great name, but my love for Frederick doesn't outweigh my dislike of Fred. Oh well!
    This is a pretty old post, but I somehow stumbled across my reply and had to update. In the end we DID go with Frederik (without the C), despite my dislike for Fred/Freddie. I just loved the name too much to let it go, and it suits our now nearly 3 month old son very well. So I change my vote to "yes", although I suspect the original poster's question has already been resolved.

Edited to add: We've had a few people ask if we're calling him Fred or Freddie, and we've just politely told them that no, his name is Frederik. We'll see what he wants to call himself as he gets older, but for now, it's only the full version!
    Last edited by klh1980; May 10th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    mother to Louisa (born 11/22/2010) and Frederik (born 2/19/2013)

No, I absolutely would not. Not only could I not control what other people call him, but HE also may prefer his nickname.
    momma to Vivienne Grey

{currently considering}

Colette Isadora Fiona Daphne Margot Bianca Ophelia Francesca Theodora Arabelle Leonora Louisa

Sebastian Felix Hugo Rex Henry Frederick Abraham Everett Gus

I also have to vote "no". I love the name Frederick, but I sadly crossed it off our list because I strongly dislike Fred and Freddie. I just don't want to have to correct everyone all the time, and part of me feels like Fred is unavoidable. It's so disappointing because I think Frederick is such a great name, but my love for Frederick doesn't outweigh my dislike of Fred. Oh well!
    I'm so confused. Your signature says you have a Frederick born earlier this year...?

This is a pretty old post, but I somehow stumbled across my reply and had to update. In the end we DID go with Frederik (without the C), despite my dislike for Fred/Freddie. I just loved the name too much to let it go, and it suits our now nearly 3 month old son very well. So I change my vote to "yes", although I suspect the original poster's question has already been resolved.

Edited to add: We've had a few people ask if we're calling him Fred or Freddie, and we've just politely told them that no, his name is Frederik. We'll see what he wants to call himself as he gets older, but for now, it's only the full version!
    Oh, my apologies! How funny... I was thoroughly confused for a minute!

Frederick is a fabulous name... my first choice for a boy. I quite like both Fred and Freddie though so the nn isn't an issue for me.