Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    From your list I like Moira (MORE uh) and Bethany (especially nn Beth).

Suggestions:
    Eve
    Ruth
    Amity

Most of my favs end in 'A' so I'm not much help.

I like the names you've selected. I see that most of my suggestions have already been posted, so I'll just add a couple more.

Helen: Has connotations of both Helen of Troy, and (St.) Helen the mother of Constantine who converted the Empire to Christianity and made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem to seek out the Cross of Christ.

Ariadne: A mythological figure and an early martyr.

Timea: I know you said you don't like most -a names, but this one, probably related to Timaeus, is Christian, means "honor," and is nice with Aster. Sort of like Thomasine for Thomas, I guess.

Phoebe: A Corinthian woman, mentioned in the epistle to the Romans.

Lucy: Virtuous sort of meaning, a pretty cool saint actually.

Oh wow what wonderful suggestions, thank you so much.

@rook476 - I especially appreciate the explanations. Timea is really pretty. I wonder if people would pronounce it TIM-i-a, or Ti-MAY-a. Helen is also gorgeous. I also like Helena, but only pronounce Helen-a, not he LAY na.

@nelliedellie - Amity is really sweet, soft, and feminine, but also strong sounding. A definite contender. Thank you.

@davisellu - So many names! Thank you! Isolde is one I hadn't thought of, but I adore, especially as a middle.

@scarlettrobin - Tabitha! What a gem! I guess there are a lot of names ending in 'A' that I like!

@esswei - Wonderful suggestions. I like Zipora with one p and w/o the h at the end. Feels less chalky.

@maripal - Mary Rose, a very pretty double that I haven't heard before.

Well, the woman I knew named Timea (who went by Timmie) pronounced it TIM-ea. I remembered that I also suggested it because the alternate explanation of its origin is that it was a variation of Euthymia, meaning "good feeling" or "joy."

And I forgot to write down Minerva, Roman goddess of wisdom and thus I suppose a virtue name like Sophia.

I see someone did put down Irene, Greek for "peace," also a saint and the first Byzantine empress.

And finally, Clio is another one that is Greek, not a goddess but a Muse, and also a saint. I could probably think of more, but I promise I'll stop

Biblical ones:
    Miriam/Mariamne
    Kezia - I snuck this -a ending one in because I think the z makes it pop.
    Tamar
    Naomi
    Yael
    Judith
    Bethlehem - I have actually known a woman named this. I thought it rather striking, like a lot of Biblical place names, Moriah, Shiloh, etc.

Religious but not Biblical
    Eliora
    Eliana - I know Nameberry has it listed as Hebrew for "sun" but I think what they've done is, as its an international name, spliced the meaning of one language and then that it's also a Hebrew name? In Hebrew it means "my G-d has answered."
    Seraphine
    Celeste/Celestia/Celestine
    Angelique, or Angelica if you can stomach the -a.

If Christian: Evangeline, Christabel? Christiana is a bit flowery maybe but dramatic.

Mythological names that DON'T end in A, which cut my list by half.
    Xanthe - an Amazon, an unrelated Oceanid, and a couple other bit parts in mythological references. Means "gold" and I really like it, with its cheerful zan-thee sound but classical roots.
    Sibyl
    Penelope
    Juno
    Ione/Iole
    Demeter (or Demetria)
    Phoebe
    Hesper (or Hesperia)
    Amaryllis
    Selene
    Ianthe
    Xanthe
    Iris - Rainbow messenger goddess. Wikipedia says: "She is also known as one of the goddesses of the sea and the sky. Iris links the gods to humanity. She travels with the speed of wind from one end of the world to the other, and into the depths of the sea and the underworld." Which I thought gave it a bit more gravitas than the average flower name.