Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wdyt of Elkin/Elkan/Elken

So I cannot say I have ever pondered this name.

I HAVE considered Elchanan/Elhanan which is a family name. It is pretty thoroughly long and foreign though. I have known one who was great though. Not sure if its usable.

In the past I have been fixated on Hanan, which I like a lot but is highly unusual. This would be as a boy's name but some people think it sounds feminine. I had been thinking of Hanan NN Hank.

My mom, who is hugely into geneology, has suggested that other people she knows named Elchanan, when coming to America, became Elkin/Elken/Elkans.

I can't decide if I like it or hate it! WDYT?

I really like it! It's very unique, but doesn't sound way out there. It's very manly!

Nope I don't like it at all

This is hard. I like it, but I don't.

It has a calm, earthy morning forest feel, because of the 'elk' part of the name. It's also a surname which gives it some more name power. I went to school with a guy whose last name was Elkins, and he used it frequently. Never seemed to be an issue for him.

It's interesting!

I think it could definitely work as a name, because of similarities to Alvin, Elvin, etc.

So, in the end I think it has a nice sound, but it's not something I would use.
    new username @finch

I have a relative whose name was Elchanan but he anglicized it to Elcanon (ehl-KAY-non). Eli is a nickname possibility.

It's not weird to me because I run in Orthodox Jewish crowds, but i imagine others will see it as pretty darn foreign. If you'd go for a related name, it's pretty much the same as Yochanan, which is John in English. And that opens up a pile of potential variations or nicknames.