Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting down to the nitty-gritty

We have the list we are bringing with us to the hospital so we can name him based on who he looks like (Shepherd, Royce, Knox, Nico, Elkan, Archer, and Anders), but out of that list we have two VERY clear favorites for our baby boy and the others don't nearly come as close. We both love Shepherd and Anders! DH is leaning way more toward Shepherd (I do love it), and I am leaning slightly more toward Anders (I tend to like more exotic, or international names, and I think it works better with our daughter's name, Éva) but I hate the potential nickname of Andy, and DH insists on pronouncing it ANN-ders, as he strongly dislikes AHN-ders.

We are having trouble with middle names. For Shepherd, I think the middle name has to be nontraditional since every time I place a traditional name in the middle, it sounds like Shepherd is his title, and his given name is the middle name (Shepherd Henry sounds like a Shepherd named Henry, imo). I love the combination Shepherd Knox Olson, but DH is unsure of this combination but I'm hoping that he'll come around to liking it. He likes Shepherd Knight Olson, but I feel that sounds like too much of a nod to Christmas - shepherds watching baby Jesus at night. I kind of like Shepherd North Olson because his initials would be SNO - but does this sound weird, like a northern shepherd?

For Anders we both really like Anders North Olson, but we are getting awful feedback on other name forums (we aren't saying our names in real life). Is Anders North Olson really that bad, or are people just that mean?

Opinions? Advice? Thanks in advance
    Mommy to {Éva Natalia} & {Dimitri David} ...now designing a {name} for our next darling...

{ L a d i e s } Saskia : Calypso : Anouk : Sabine : Azélie : Gia : Indie : Sparrow : Chiara : Sapphira : Oceane : Cosette : Apollina : Yara : Baye :
    { G e n t s } Luca : Anders : Koa : Élan : Amadeo : Oliver : River : Alexei : Maksim : Aeneas : Wolfgang : Sebastien : Alessio : Croix

I like both Anders and Shepherd very much.

I agree that a classic name like Henry makes Shepherd look like a "title"; the shepherd Henry. I like both Shepherd Knight Olson (although both a shepherd and a knight may be too much?) and Shepherd North Olson. SNO are cute initials, snø/snö means snow in scandinavia so that makes me happy.

Anders North Olson is really nice too. I've got a cousin named Anders, he's very smart and charming and cool. In Norway we pronounce it AN-uhrs/ersh.

North is a very handsome middle name, I'd go for that for both names. Good luck!

I prefer Shepherd to Anders, but they are both good names. I really like Shepherd North. Shepherd Knight are two titlestrades, like Ottilie mentioned and seems a little bit much. Shepherd Knox flows well.

I really like Shepherd Knox Olson, and I think Eva and Shepherd are great together.

I think Anders would make a better middle name, just because the nn Andy would be hard to avoid.

Ottile, you totally made me fall in love with Shepherd North! I keep second guessing myself, and adding names here and there (i.e. my other post with Nico) but at the end of the day Shepherd and Anders both have my heart. I adore North as a middle name for both. I guess we will just have to wait until we meet him - but I'll probably dissect, and over analyze these names until it's time to choose one.

I must say that it is SO nice to hear good things from you all about our favorite names. Literally, it's like a breath of fresh air. I've been getting horrible feedback of Shepherd from the only friend I told, and from other people online. I know it's a type of dog, occupation, and last name, people! At this point I can't let it bother me even though it really does hurt and make me more insecure!
    Mommy to {Éva Natalia} & {Dimitri David} ...now designing a {name} for our next darling...

{ L a d i e s } Saskia : Calypso : Anouk : Sabine : Azélie : Gia : Indie : Sparrow : Chiara : Sapphira : Oceane : Cosette : Apollina : Yara : Baye :
    { G e n t s } Luca : Anders : Koa : Élan : Amadeo : Oliver : River : Alexei : Maksim : Aeneas : Wolfgang : Sebastien : Alessio : Croix