Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    To me it doesn't matter if a name is classed as 'dated'. I don't understand why a perfectly normal name should be avoided just because it happened to be super popular in a certain time period. What's the big deal? O_o No one's going to look at a baby Jennifer and think: 'Why aren't you in your twenties? People called Jennifer are all over the age of twenty.' They'd most likely think: 'Aww, pretty name. I know lots of nice people called Jenny.'

Jennifer is a lovely name, there's nothing wrong with it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Well, it does strike me as a name from the 80's, however just because it was very popular then doesn't make it unusable, there's some names I really fancy from that era as well. I had considered the name Jennifer myself as a middle name for my daughter because I liked the initials RJ, but since her first name was most popular back in the 1910's-1920's I went for something a bit more old fashioned to compliment it.

In short, I see nothing wrong with naming your daughter Jennifer, it's a really lovely name and it's not like she is going to have five other Jennifer's in her class, not in the sea of Brianna's and Adalyn's.

It is pretty dated. But I do love Jennifer. I think it would be cute on a modern child and certainly more unique these days among their age group!

I love Jenny/Jennie/Gen as a nickname but not Jennifer especially.

My favourites are: Imogen and Genevieve. Historically (pre-20th C) Jenny/Jennie was often derived from Janie and Jane, but I think nowadays a Jane called Jenny would confused the bejeezus out of people. I believe the famous opera singer Jenny Lind (the one Anderson wrote Ugly Duckling for) was a Johanna.

I think Jenny is adorable. But Jennifer doesn't do much for me.

I do feel that it's pretty dated, but I know an adorable little girl named Jennifer, and I don't really even associate it as being dated on her. She wears it so well. I love the Jen/Jenny part, but not the "nifer" ending, it seems sort of conniving and underhanded, a la Lucifer. It is a nice name, though, and I think if you won't be using it for at least a decade, it will seem less dated by then.

I agree with @stripedsocks, I love Imogen and Genevieve as ways to get to Jen/Jenny/Gen.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter