Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedauthor View Post
    Protestant or Catholic?
    Both, as I'm not too certain yet. As an atheist I need to do a bit more research before I decide which!

Quote Originally Posted by scarlettrobin View Post
    Biblical [particularly OT ones] and virtue names would where I'd look. Why not tell us a bit more about your character, it might help?
    I usually pick names that fit the parent's personality more than the character's personality (for example, the name Elektra might suit a crazy, outgoing girl, but if her parents are the boring, stuffy type it would seem completely out of place), so right now I'm just looking for general names that might fit the bill. It's all in the early stages anyway, and will be on the backburner as I'm already working on something, but I just like to have a fitting name to work with

Quote Originally Posted by tay2thestars View Post
    Catholic - Mary/Mary variant; as well as any female saint: http://www.catholic.org/saints/female.php

Protestant - Any Biblical name - Elizabeth, Martha, Veronica...
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    There's three main categories for me:

1) Those "Old Testament" names that strike a lot of people as rather "Children of the Corn" - Malachi, Jabez, Hezekiah, Ezekiel for boys, Keziah, Jerusha, Sarai for girls. I actually love these so don't take citing Stephen King as an actual slam on the names themselves, it's just what people have told me they think of when they hear those names.

Not all Biblical names work equally well: Joshua/Rachel don't really kick home that message at all, do they?

2) Ones that I as a Jewish person would not actually use as they sound specifically Christian and not just Biblical to me. Not all of them ARE even Biblical, and some of them sound fairly mainstream: Girls - Evangeline, Christiana/Christabel etc, Mary, Magdalena, Trinity. Boys - Peter, Christian/Christopher, Luther, Thomas etc.

3) Names of obscure Catholic saints.
    Thanks!
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier

At this point I should probably say, both genders welcomed as she may or may not have siblings!
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier

If you're going with a Protestant character:

Charity
    Hope
    Rebecca
    Susannah
    Hannah
    Ruth

If it's a Catholic character, I echo the suggestion of looking into a saints names. Maybe choose a birthday for your character and choose a saint that is associated with that day or a day close by.
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne

It really depends upon the denomination (if Protestant), location, and class. The names of the children of an upper-crust Presbyterian couple will vary greatly from those of a lower middle class Southern Baptist. In my experience. Which is vast
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

I think you'd be safe with any biblical name:

Mary
    Elizabeth
    Abigail
    Esther
    Miriam
    http://nameberry.com/list/407/Biblical-Names-for-Girls

Joseph
    Abraham
    Ezra
    Ezekiel
    Peter
    http://nameberry.com/list/406/Biblical-Names-for-Boys

Also, my family is strongly Catholic and my name is Diana, my sister is Melissa. So just because you're religious doesn't mean you necessarily pick a religious name. I think it's super stereotypical on characters that come from a religious family to have a bible name, since in real life it's not always the case. So your character doesn't necessarily have to have a bible name, it might make it more realistic if she didn't and there might be more of a story behind it. Just my 2 cents.

To add to that, not sure which Christian religion you're going with, but my cousins are very strong Mormons, and none them have a religious name: Stefanie, Sidni, Samantha (Samee), and Sumer
    Last edited by catloverd; November 21st, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables