Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I just asked my mom cause my baby is under 1...she says go big for 1 ( you're only one once, she just said!) But we are Italian American so that's just a cultural thing for us. Besides that she says avoid themes unless you're going to really get into it, keep it simple if everyone is invited, do something more organized like an activity or project if it's a smaller group. Also pinata is more fun than assembling goodie bags!

Nothing against people who want to go big for a 1st birthday, but I personally don't see the point. I feel like a baby is too young to really appreciate what's going on, won't remember it and could get overwhelmed by too much going on. She's too young to have a friend group, so something low-key with family feels more appropriate. But as Taz said, opinion on that is influenced by cultural traditions. Most years growing up my mom would make a cake and take me and a friend or two to do something and just a few years did something to step it up--a big party when I was 7, a sleepover for 3 friends when I was 10, a weekend beach trip with a friend when I was 16. I never felt let down or neglected by not having a huge party every year and I know it was easier on my mom. There's nothing wrong with big themed parties every year if you don't mind the cost/stress/planning but I just wanted to put it out there that it's possible to make a child feel special without one. (although if you've done one for your son every year and don't this year, he might be more resistant than a child who wasn't used to that)
    Last edited by kungfualex; November 27th, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by kungfualex View Post
    Nothing against people who want to go big for a 1st birthday, but I personally don't see the point. I feel like a baby is too young to really appreciate what's going on, won't remember it and could get overwhelmed by too much going on. She's too young to have a friend group, so something low-key with family feels more appropriate. But as Taz said, opinion on that is influenced by cultural traditions. Most years growing up my mom would make a cake and take me and a friend or two to do something and just a few years did something to step it up--a big party when I was 7, a sleepover for 3 friends when I was 10, a weekend beach trip with a friend when I was 16. I never felt let down or neglected by not having a huge party every year and I know it was easier on my mom. There's nothing wrong with big themed parties every year if you don't mind the cost/stress/planning but I just wanted to put it out there that it's possible to make a child feel special without one. (although if you've done one for your son every year and don't this year, he might be more resistant than a child who wasn't used to that)
    I agree completely. I think my post was too mumble-jumble to understand.
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

Thank you for all the input. I especially appreciate the links on how to make these cool birthday cakes! The reason I feel a certain amount of pressure regarding my son's birthday is the birthday parties he gets invited to pretty much on a monthly basis. Then I feel like we should invite those same kids and do something similar. Parenting peer pressure I guess. My daughter's birthday party will be rather small, just family. I just want a cute cake mostly for pictures' sake.
    Mommy to Quinton Vladimir and Maeve Elisabeth

Current favourites: Pearl, Ruby, Cecilia/Cecily, Demetria, Emmeline, Elizabeth/Eliza, Beatrix, Evangeline, May/Maeve, Mia, Bella, Annabelle, Maria, Phoebe, Jemima, Jamila, Maisie, Sanna, Mercy, Aviva, Avalon
    Quinton, Kingston, Elijah, Jonah, Ezekiel, Sebastian, Cooper, Zebedee, Malachi, Linus, Titus, Fergus, Finnian

A few years ago, we did an "experience" party. For instance, for Seb's 10th bday he invited 6 friends and we went and did laser tag and then went out to eat to a Chinese buffett (his favorite food). So much cheaper then having a party at the actual laser tag place and not as rushed "could take our time getting there etc...(since our kids to private school their friends are all over) I had the parents meet me at a certain place and drove all the boys over in my vehicle (Suburbans stink at gas millage, but great for transporting lots of kids!) and did the laser tag then went out to eat. We paid for everything like a normal bday party, and everyone had lots of fun. We did Build a Bear for Bronwen one year, she chose 3 friends to do it with us (I had a budget, so told the girls they could choose xyz etc and it was not a problem) and then went out for ice cream. Linus is just getting into the whole "friends" world and same with Vio so nothing like this for them yet. But all the kids from 1 on up have bday dinners at both my parents (with my sister, her family etc in attendance) and my inlaws where their is a cake etc. We also do a "just our family" celebration at dinner on the actual day of theirbday again, very low key but there is always at least ice cream etc. We have done the standard "party package" thing before for the older two at local places, but with the cost and the stress we prefer to do what I inutially mentioned.

Bronwen's actual bday is Valentines day, so good luck for us ever gping out to eat the weekend before or after ger bday!
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)