Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused byMiriam

I have recently started to fall in love with the name Miriam, but I am confused by it's meaning. Nameberry lists the meaning as "wished-for child," yet it also says it is the oldest form of Mary. Nameberry lists Mary and pretty much all of it's variations as meaning "bitter." Why the difference in meaning, does anyone know?

Bonus question!
    Give me a one or two syllable middle name for Miriam, preferably with an English/Welsh/Irish/Scottish origin
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Ruby, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Alice, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Rowan, Beckett, Miles, Samuel

I looked up the name on Wikipedia, and it says Miriam has various meanings, among those being "Rebellious", "wished-for child", "bitter", or "strong waters." I'm not sure why the difference in meaning, but according to this, it says the Hebrew meaning is unclear. It might be derived from an Egyptian name. It's really quite interesting.

Miriam combos:
    Miriam Elspeth
    Miriam Aoife
    Miriam Alva
    Miriam Blaine
    Miriam Clodagh
    Miriam Eadaoine
    Miriam Fionla
    Miriam Alwyne
    Miriam Caitriona
    Miriam Greer
    Miriam Leith
    Miriam Nellina
    Miriam Bronwen
    Mirian Delyth
    Miriam Edwynna
    Miriam Guinevere
    Miriam Isolde
    Miriam Nerys

I hope that helps!
    -Athena
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Miriam is the original Hebrew form of Mary. The actual meaning is unknown, but there are several theories. Behind the Name is a much better resource than Nameberry when it comes to looking up etymology and meaning.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/mary
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

From French wikipedia (Sorry I'm too lazy to type this out because it's long but the translation is pretty accurate)

"Myriam* It was also suggested the etymology of the ancient Egyptian Miriam (Hebrew: "מִרְיָם" , Modern Hebrew "Miriam" , Tibèrien "Miriam" ⇒ meaning "wish child" , "bitter", "rebel", the Sanskrit मारयति [ mariati] "kill," or perhaps the origin of the ancient Egyptian "MRIT" (merit): "Loved" , the Egyptian "mry": "Love, love" , of "marah" in Hebrew : "sour" and ancient Hebrew "mar-yam" or the name derives from the ancient Egyptian " Mérytamon " or "Meryt-Amun" ⇒ "the Beloved of Amun ".

* this is the French spelling of Miriam.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~

I trust behindthename more than any other source. If it's not on there, it's not a name to me.
    Loving: Lilith Delphine, Daphne Elisabeth, Eleanor Lilac and my GP Amaryllis Clio
    William Dougal, Rupert Theodore and my GP Augustin Sage

Celestia, Opal, Agatha, Mabel, Delphine, Lilith, Magnolia, Eleanor, Olympia, Harriet, Daphne, Nora, Tabitha, Lilac, Saffron, Wilhelmina, Clio, Amaryllis
    Vaughn, Sterling, Samson, Sage, Rupert, Hugo, August, Stellan, Dougal, Sydney, Theodore, William