Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help - Feel like starting over!

I feel like starting over with my girl name list... this is SO hard. Here's some of my thoughts, maybe you'll be able to help me come up with a name.

Names I like but am not sure of:
    Iris (doesn't have an L and it seems like most names I like have the L sound somewhere)
    Evangeline
    Abigail
    Callie
    Juliette

Names I love but can't use:
    Natalie - friend used it
    Violet - friend "reserved" it (lol)
    Madelyn - friend used it although we don't see each other often
    Isla - DH doesn't like this

Names I love but I think are too simple:
    Claire - was my grandmother and I would love to honor her though (don't like Clara).
    Molly

Names I love but worry about spelling & pronounciation (although I wouldn't change the spelling):
    Eilidh - our last name isn't an easy spell either... but I love this one (pn: Ay-Lee)
    Amelie - something is just not right with the way it sounds when I say it, not sure I can get over it

You've got some nice names there, I really like Iris and Abigail.
    Some suggestions:

Claribel
    Clarimond
    Clarinda
    Calliope
    Laurel
    Leandra
    Lily
    Fiorella
    Cecily/Cicely
    Clementine
    Isobel
    Eleri

If you're having any hesitation on a name - any at ALL - I would throw it out; your instincts will help you out by narrowing down the name pool! So based on what you said above, I would toss Iris, Eilidh (I agree on pronunciation issues; that's a doozy) and Amelie. (There's always Amelia, if that's more appealing.) So that would leave you with:

Evangeline
    Abigail
    Callie
    Juliette

Out of those I think Callie underwhelmes - it seems the weakest and most "meh" of the bunch. Since you love Claire and Molly but think them too plain for a first name that would make them perfect candidates for the middle spot. Evangeline, Abigail and Juliette would all sound pretty elegant with Claire as a middle name, whereas Molly would give them a more quirky vibe. (Juliette Claire: lovely. Abigail Molly? Very cute.) It might come down to how you feel about nicknames. If Evie or Eva makes your skin crawl, skip Evangeline. Ditto for Abby. Juliette would probably be the least likely to get shortened, although I know some people avoid it because they dislike Julie. You would be more likely to hear Jules, though, which is a pretty fun nickname. I think Juliette is your best pick: romantic yet strong, with that nice "-ette" ending. I've known an older Juliette - 50ish - and the name ages beautifully.

Whew! Good luck!
    Last edited by namenerdia; November 27th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Also: since you like the rhythm of Natalie and Amelie, you might love Felicity or Rosalie.

Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful. I do like Cecily and also Juliette Claire is nice.