Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I recently found the name Idony, which is the name of the norse god of spring and eternal youth. How about...

Winterose Idony
    Genoveva Idony
    Hespera Idony

It really seems to go with everything on your list!

My God this is hard. I'm trying to stay away from nameberry since I have a large boards exam looming (lifelong learning!) but I had to see how your lists were evolving.

So... top 6 (just cannot eliminate any of these):

Illyria
    Ceridwen
    Evelake
    Everild
    Hespera
    Niniane

Very nice, just not the tops:

Lorien
    Finvola
    Belphoebe
    Eilonwy
    Tinuviel
    Genoveva
    Rhiannon

The ones I would not consider:

Winterose (as you, and amydomsmom, noted-- a bit insubstantial compared to mythological heroines and the like)
    Seawillow (ditto: I liked the story about the child born under a willow during a storm, but I feel the uniqueness of the name matches the uniqueness of that baby's circumstances, and I hope your Baby arrives in clement conditions, indoors).
    Myristica (the botanical connection would be lost on all but the most ardent of gardeners, and would you want to hang out with them? Otherwise it sounds like a teenage Goth girl).
    Nienna (I too hear a smash of Nina and Sienna)
    Elbereth (the Tolkien symbolism is lovely, but unlike Tinuviel, it doesn't translate as well outside of Middle Earth. It sounds lispy and even a bit villainous).
    Altalune ("over the moon". Full stop).
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

lovelywren: Idony is lovely, it was on our list a little while ago but we eliminated it as we're trying to stay away from major deities

blade: Thank you! I agree with what you said. We actually eliminated lots of names last night, and for lots of the reasons you've mentioned. Good luck on your boards!

Our new list (we still need to eliminate two...):

Belphoebe
    Ceridwen
    Evelake
    Hespera
    Illyria
    Niniane
    Tinuviel

Of those still left on your list, I'd narrow it down to these four:

Ceridwen (My absolute favourite of the seven. Easy to pronounce and not too difficult to spell, and a beautiful, beautiful sound.)
    Illyria
    Tinuviel (Such a fantastic sound! Whimsically delicious!)
    Hespera

Niniane -- I really like the Arthurian history that comes with this name (Nimue is a favourite name of mine; also like Nyneve). The ninny (meaning fool/simpleton) thing might be something to stay away from though?
    Last edited by sunniva; November 24th, 2012 at 06:40 AM.

My favorites are...

Tinuviel Elaine, it has such a lovely sound to it and has a touch of whimsy. Elaine will keep it down to earth and give her two great namesakesl.

Ceridwen Elaine, is so pretty in my opinion, can be easily pronounced, and easily spelled. I also love the namesake. As with Tinuviel, I think Elaine grounds it and gives your daughter another lovely namesake.

I also really like the combo you mentioned in a thread of Ceridwen Fawn Villanelle

Belphoebe Meadowsweet, I love this combo because it's more unusual than just Phoebe, which I like as well. Meadowsweet is a perfect middle in my oppinion.

Hespera Niniane, I like the sound of Hespera. It is easy to say and pronounce and with Niniane, and you get to use another name from your list.

Illyra Tempest, Beautiful and Powerful
    Last edited by lovelywren; November 25th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.