Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'm right there with you! All of my names get more than just a nose-wrinkle. They get a head-rearing-back, jaw-dropping-open, you-want-to-name-them-WHAT??? face...every. single. time. And I'm not even pregnant yet! My husband and I both come from really conservative families where we are the one odd out, and so I dread the time when I am actually carrying a little one and we have to tell them the name we've decided on.

That being said, I know that if you let other people make a decision for you, you will ALWAYS regret it. You have to stay true to what you love It is the family's job to support you, and if they aren't doing their job, that is not on you, nor on your child. Go with what you LOVE. Every child goes through a name crisis in their life, whether they are named Ashley or Hepzibah, and it is far easier to explain to a daughter "I chose this name because I loved it more than anything else in the world" than it is to say "I wanted something else, but settled on this because of the reactions from the family."

I for one LOVE Arya, and all its fantasy associations (Game of Thrones, the Inheritance saga, etc). It just has so much more substance than Poppy or Ruby or Ellie, and goes so much better with your sons' names!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

I've been selective about who I discuss names with. I usually say that I've got it narrowed down to a few options, but I want to get a good look at him first before I decide. On one hand I have less people in a position to say negative things about my choices until it's too late and on the other it keeps the half-dozen or more pregnant women I know from stealing my faves. I prefer this to the idea of throwing out decoy names because then you could have people giving you a hard time about names you aren't even really considering.

Every single name I truly loved, someone disliked or hated, but at the end of the day it wasn't their child, she was mine so I stuck to my guns and named my daughter what I wanted to name her. I'm glad I did, the name I gave her suits her to a T and I have no regrets, whereas if I had tried pleasing others I know I'd be having name regret now.

If you love the name Arya, then name your daughter that, don't let people talk you out of it just because it isn't their style of name.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerian View Post
    Everybody says its not the name.
    This is funny. How in the world could your family and friends possibly know that Arya is not "the name" for YOUR child??

Go with your gut and give your daughter a name that you love and feel that she will love as well. My advice would be to not share any further name ideas with your family and friends. Their input doesn't matter in the least.
    Emily, 18, Southeastern US.
    College student and avid name nerd.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

This is why I don't share! Stick to your guns!