Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Met a girl yesterday named...

Everet.

Yes, with only one T. She turned 6 and was very precocious and fun. At first I thought I was mishearing "Heather" or something similar but she wanted to spell her name for me, lol. I know it's a "boy" name, but technically it is a surname. And I sort of see the appeal, for parents who want a more complete version of Ever.

She told me she has a twin sister named Anabel who I didn't meet. I don't think the names "fit" as a sibset at all in sound but I like the symmetry in the spellings. WDYT?
    k+m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrice · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

I feel kind of bad for Everet, when I hear that name, especially with something as feminine as Anabel, I think boy. If they both had boy names or even something kind of masculine for the sister, It would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelywren View Post
    I feel kind of bad for Everet, when I hear that name, especially with something as feminine as Anabel, I think boy. If they both had boy names or even something kind of masculine for the sister, It would be better.
    Agree with this. Everett (I prefer 2 t's) is a boy name to me. And when same sex siblings, especially twins, have 1 that has a female name and the other has a traditionally male name the latter will almost be thought as a boy on paper. I know a family that has Jack, Toby, Milo and Carson. (No multiples.) Carson is the only girl. But when all 4 names are said together myself (and almost everyone else I know) would assume they were 4 boys, not 3 boys and a girl.

Also, I'm not a fan of changing the spelling of a boy name just to make it more feminine for a girl. I think 90% of boy names sound odd/bad on girls. They'll be addressed as boys until someone actually meets them, and when you change the spelling it just gives them another thing to correct for people. If you're going to use a traditionally male name for a female, I just think it should at least be spelled right!

So is it pronounced ever-rhett? Most just say ev-rit so I don't relate it to Ever, and it really sounds bad with Anabel. It would be more feminine if it were Everette "ever-ette"

Shea * Jade * Azure * Fox * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

"Et" or "ette" names feel feminine to me because they usually are (Harriet, Janet, Yvette, Lynette, etc). I view Everet(t) as a boy's name because that is how most everyone uses it just like how I cannot picture a male Madison with 5 girly "Maddie"s in my grade.