Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Just a quick rant about "soft" boy names

Okay, I get it, you don't want to give your boy a girly name, and you don't like girly names, so when someone asks for feedback you say -it's a bit "soft"- It's fine, you're trying to be diplomatic, and that's admirable and all, but I'm just really tired of boys' names always needing to be strong and rugged. It's really a disservice to men everywhere to assume that giving a boy a more feminine-sounding name is any more objectionable than giving a girl a slightly more masculine name, and it really just perpetuates the damaging gender roles that our culture has so ingrained in us, that boys shouldn't aspire to be sensitive and caring, tender and nurturing, or other "soft" qualities.

I'm just ranting because I see these kinds of comments a lot, and like I said, it's fine, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and to give people that kind of feedback, but I just would like to encourage everyone to think a little about what it really means when you say a boy's name is "soft"

This message brought to you by my raging pregnancy hormones!
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

I like soft boys' names better than strong-sounding ones, tbh.
    Mary, Ophelia, Lily, Genevieve, Elsa, Agatha, Gwyneth, Blanche, Kate, Florence, Nessie, Dylan
    Finn, Cove, Augustus, Alfie, Todd, Harry, Dylan, Jericho, Alistair, Melchior, Wesley

Yes, I like Dylan on boys and girls....don't judge me.

I completely agree - Neville, Louis (Lou-ee), Freddie, William, Kenneth, Matthew, Jamie/James, Henry, Alfie, Percy, and Kit all appear on my boys list, and I could care less about them being "soft", no more than I care about Doris being "ugly" or Christopher being "plain".

I love the softness of Neville, and look at Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter, he wasnt exactly strong, and didnt have a strong sounding name, and ended up being the hero. That's what I think of when I hear it. Strength isnt in a name.

A boy named Kieran could be just strong as a boy named Aubrey.
    A boy named Louis and a boy named George could both be into cars, or into playing with baby dolls.

I ran into this at a college placement, there was this gorgeous little boy in kindergarten named Kenneth, and another little boy named Ben in the other class. Both relatively soft, but polar opposites. Ben was destructive and would misbehave constantly, however Kenneth would sit quietly playing in the dress up centre, being a "daddy" to the many baby dolls.

Really, it's sexist and wrong to say, and most of the time, I'd choose a "soft" choice over a "strong" one, but that's only going by what I like.

*also, if names are "soft", doesnt that lump William, Edmund, Henry, James, and Thomas into that category?
    "But while some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled, but miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves, what a concept"

Quote Originally Posted by raevynstar View Post
    I like soft boys' names better than strong-sounding ones, tbh.
    I like both! I just get really annoyed because usually people only comment that a name is soft when they are pointing out why someone might not want to use it - I don't think I've ever seen "soft" used as a positive reason why someone should use a name, you know what I mean?
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

Exactly! I think it's a good aspect for a name. I'd rather meet 12 Alfies and 10 Tobys than 1 Rock any day (no offense to anyone who likes the name Rock).
    Mary, Ophelia, Lily, Genevieve, Elsa, Agatha, Gwyneth, Blanche, Kate, Florence, Nessie, Dylan
    Finn, Cove, Augustus, Alfie, Todd, Harry, Dylan, Jericho, Alistair, Melchior, Wesley

Yes, I like Dylan on boys and girls....don't judge me.