Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lucia

Lucia

How would you pronounce Lucia? Nameberry lists only 2 ways:
    1. loo-CHEE-uh
    2. LOO-shuh

but I would add 3. loo-SEE-uh as another pronunciation possibility. What is your inclination?

How would a Lucia (I am pronouncing it the third way) fit in with Juliet, Matilda, Eloise, and Penelope? What do you think of the name Lucia?

Thanks!
    ~* Not Expecting, Just Collecting *~
    Beatrix | Bryony | Cordelia | Eloise | Felicity | Guinevere | Matilda | Penelope | Tabitha | Winifred
    August | Dorian | Ezra | George | Hugo | Leopold | Lysander | Oberon | Theodore | Truman

There are at least 6 different pronounciations of Lucia, which is why I'm not a big fan of the name. So confusing!
    1) [LOO-sha] (English)
    2) [loo-SEE-ah] (Romanian?)
    3) [loo-THEE-ah] (Spanish)
    4) [LOO-sya] (Portuguese)
    5) [loo-tsee-a] (German)
    6) [loo-TCHA] (Italian)

Your names are very English, which is why I think "loo-sha" be the more logical pronunciation for you. Thouh I must say god ol' Lucy, Lucasta, or Lucille would fit even better.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Well, loo-SEE-uh is common in at least some dialects of Latin American Spanish (as distinct from Spain's own accent that does, as sugar plum fairy said, go with a THEE rather than SEE sound).

Though, speaking of accents in other languages, I must say I've always heard the Italian pronunciation as three syllables - loo-CHEE-ah, not 2 syllables.

loo-SEE-uh is also my favourite pronunciation of all of them - though as you know, not the only right one.

I do think Lucinda has less drama, because of all the variants, and same goes for Lucilla.

I have a close friend with both Lucinda and Penelope on her list - they do flatter each other, to my mind.

http://www.forvo.com/word/lucia/ <--is a link to many, many versions in assorted languages and you can hear them rather than read them.

I like Lucy, but it feels a bit too nicknamey to fit on my list. Plus, I am currently good friends with a Lucy, so that could be odd, haha. Lucia with my preferred pronunciation is quite similar obviously.

I would almost be tempted to pronounce Lucilla as loo-SEE-ah because I have taken Spanish for many years and the double-l sometimes does that to me, haha. I think it's a bit too close to Lucille which still feels a bit too old-lady to approach.

Lucinda is an interesting consideration I may make. Not super sure about the 'cind' portion of it, but thank you for the suggestion!
    ~* Not Expecting, Just Collecting *~
    Beatrix | Bryony | Cordelia | Eloise | Felicity | Guinevere | Matilda | Penelope | Tabitha | Winifred
    August | Dorian | Ezra | George | Hugo | Leopold | Lysander | Oberon | Theodore | Truman

I have never been good with pronouncing names (for years I thought Penelope was Pen-el-ope), and I've always pronounced Lucia like Lucy-uh. I love that pn, but I've only ever heard it as Lou-sha or Lou-chee-uh. This is why I'm not using Lucia or Luciana, but sticking with Lucy, Lucinda or Lucida (Loo-sid-uh, my favorite way to get the nickname Lucy, with the nn option of Cid for a tomboy).

Lucilla with the pronounciation lou-see-uh is always a possibility, but unless your Hispanic, I don't think it'll work (Like PP, I have taken Spanish and many times a double LL is silent).
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~