Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Scotland

I don't like place names in general, and Scotland is especially silly and clunky to me. These types of names have a very small town/aspirational feel to me- I always sort of assume the parents have never left their small town and want something exotic sounding. Names such as Scotland, Ireland, London, etc don't travel well and are pretty much laughed at in the UK (or whatever country/city the child was named for).

I'd definitely assume you were a big Kardashian fan, btw. I think it would be much nicer to use an actual Scottish name instead of just using her country of origin to honour your friend.
    Gareth: 05.2012
    Baby #2 04.2014

I really don't like it as name and even less so after the Kardashian use. I do however, love the suggestions of Caledonia, Alba and would add: Scotia. I am from a gaelic speaking part of Nova Scotia and think Scotia is very wearable. It is the latin form of Scotland. As a name after a friend, this would be wonderful way to honour someone.

I actually love this name!
    Scotlyn is on my girl's list. In my opinion it's a pretty name, and it's very close to the name Scotland, without having to actually use the name.

Though I do think ties to Scotland would make more sense if you were to use Scotland instead of another variation. I have ties to Scotland, England, and Ireland, so in my mind I think it would okay to use it for me.

But then again, if you love it, go for it!
    Catelin Geneva
    Just highschooler by day author by night obsessed with names and future babies when she's much older.

Cecily Eirwen Ophelia, Belphoebe Judith Primrose, Isolde Bellona Winter, Circe Guinevere Florence
    ::
    Rainier Gideon Wolf, Eddard Severus Wolf, Peregrin Julius Harrow, Dorian Oliver Fox, Casimir Endymion Silver

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrytree View Post
    I don't like place names in general, and Scotland is especially silly and clunky to me. These types of names have a very small town/aspirational feel to me- I always sort of assume the parents have never left their small town and want something exotic sounding. Names such as Scotland, Ireland, London, etc don't travel well and are pretty much laughed at in the UK (or whatever country/city the child was named for).

I'd definitely assume you were a big Kardashian fan, btw. I think it would be much nicer to use an actual Scottish name instead of just using her country of origin to honour your friend.
    I agree with all of this. I find it particularly weird to use anything ending in '-land' to name a person.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    I really don't like country names on people, it sounds silly. Maybe you could be a little more "local", where was she from? Maybe a city/town/village name, a river or a mountain, an island, something like that could be more suitable and more special.
    This is a much better idea. Totally agree with Ottilie.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.