Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Venellope?

Hybrid View

Venellope?

Yesterday, I took my niece and nephews to go see "Wreck-It Ralph". It was a wonderful movie, but I have to say the thing I probably loved most about it was the main female character's name: Vanellope (pronounced kind of like Penelope with a "V") Von Schweetz. Now, to be clear, I personally would never name my baby Vanellope (maybe a pet). It was made up for the movie, and thus would be forever tied to the movie. However, I do think it is rather charming for a made-up name. Penelope is one of my all-time favorites, and I tend to love names that start with "V". (I think it would look better spelled Venelope, though.)

Anyway, I was just wondering, what do y'all think about the name? Would you ever consider using it yourself? Like to see it on somebody else's baby? Think it is a quirky, cool twist on Penelope or just horrible beyond words?
    Last edited by mega_muffin; November 18th, 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Got the name wrong! Oops.

I believe her name is intended to be spelled "Vanellope" since it is a smoosh of Vanilla and Penelope.

The names were also intended to be the most nausea-inducing, sugary sweet names possible. (All except poor Candlehead), so that's exactly the feeling I get from Vanellope. It is way too sweet for me.

I thought the same thing as I was watching the film, though. I really liked her name for the character. Or maybe a pet rabbit or something...

I would not want to see this on my child, or anyone else's.
    Ezra, Finn, Hamish, Nathan, Roland, Tobias
    Bonnie, Clementine, Greta, Hermione, Matilda, Wren

Quote Originally Posted by dovah View Post
    I believe her name is intended to be spelled "Vanellope" since it is a smoosh of Vanilla and Penelope.
    Oh, you're right, it is Vanellope, not Venellope. *edits* I still rather like the idea of Venelope, though...even if it does kind of look like a misspelling of "envelope". (And, yes, just for a pet!)

Quote Originally Posted by dovah View Post
    I believe her name is intended to be spelled "Vanellope" since it is a smoosh of Vanilla and [name].
    I haven't seen the film and thought it was a smooth between Vanilla and envelope.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

People do name their girls Vanellope

Vanellope is a real name. It is Hispanic. I have met three females with this name, one was in her sixty's. I know one of them spelled it 'Vannellope' (she's on Facebook, last name Acosta, look her up.) her nickname is Vanilla. The older lady (who spoke little English) pronounced it with it with the last syllable dominate. Van-nel-LOPE', the e with the accent mark.