Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Venellope?

Venellope?

Yesterday, I took my niece and nephews to go see "Wreck-It Ralph". It was a wonderful movie, but I have to say the thing I probably loved most about it was the main female character's name: Vanellope (pronounced kind of like Penelope with a "V") Von Schweetz. Now, to be clear, I personally would never name my baby Vanellope (maybe a pet). It was made up for the movie, and thus would be forever tied to the movie. However, I do think it is rather charming for a made-up name. Penelope is one of my all-time favorites, and I tend to love names that start with "V". (I think it would look better spelled Venelope, though.)

Anyway, I was just wondering, what do y'all think about the name? Would you ever consider using it yourself? Like to see it on somebody else's baby? Think it is a quirky, cool twist on Penelope or just horrible beyond words?
    Last edited by mega_muffin; November 18th, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Got the name wrong! Oops.

I believe her name is intended to be spelled "Vanellope" since it is a smoosh of Vanilla and Penelope.

The names were also intended to be the most nausea-inducing, sugary sweet names possible. (All except poor Candlehead), so that's exactly the feeling I get from Vanellope. It is way too sweet for me.

I thought the same thing as I was watching the film, though. I really liked her name for the character. Or maybe a pet rabbit or something...

I would not want to see this on my child, or anyone else's.

Horrible beyond words :-)
    Envelopee? Antelope? Velveteepee?
    Also, I hear the word "venal" at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by dovah View Post
    I believe her name is intended to be spelled "Vanellope" since it is a smoosh of Vanilla and Penelope.
    Oh, you're right, it is Vanellope, not Venellope. *edits* I still rather like the idea of Venelope, though...even if it does kind of look like a misspelling of "envelope". (And, yes, just for a pet!)

I like it, given the circumstances. I think Venelope would've made a lovely real name as well.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto