Names Searched Right Now:
Page 28 of 115 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast
    alfiejoe- that is so cute! part of the reason my husband wants to wait is so he can be the one to tell me who I just pushed out, Avery or Claire! I thought that was sweet of him to think that on his own. My husband said I could find out, but he wasn't going to either way, lol! I said there is no way I am keeping it a secret from you until birth because the main reason I want to find out is so i can decorate the nursery! And that would be really hard to keep him out of the nursery for the rest of the pregnancy!

Also, he thinks if for some reason I end up with another c section(which won't be by choice, but a true emergency) then it would help me get through the surgery to focus on finding out who is in there because he knows how desperately I want a vaginal delivery this time. Of course, if it's something major I'm sure I will be more focused on the health of baby but also nice of him to think of me on his own!
    Mom to Cuyler Reese Holcomb and anxiously awaiting Avery Daniel Alexander in August 2013!

Girls: Claire Elisabeth Louisa, Sophia Adelaide Kate, Elise Madeleine Joy, Zoe Anneliese Jayne, Juliet Amelia Rose

Boys: Asher Morgan James, Morgan Everett Nathaniel, Weston Jude Elias, Gabriel

@libbyj06- Love the simple color scheme especially the yellow rug against the dark blue walls. Sometimes nurseries can get too busy with all the shapes and colors.

Also, I'm sure you all have been doing so much research about birth, pregnancy etc... Here are just a few things that I found personally helpful and informative.

Website: Breaking down the drugs: a labor and delivery Q & A
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/babyproject...d-delivery-q-a

Book: What to expect when you're expecting By Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff, and Sandee E. Hathaway, B.S.N.
    (I'm sure most of you have this book or have at least read it. If not, it's worth a read. I especially liked the info on "walking epidurals".)

Documentary: The Business of Being Born and then the four follow-up mini movies More Business of Being Born
    (I'm not a huge celebrity fan, so I don't know most of the people mentioned but I did find it very interesting and informative. Definitely worth watching IMO.)

Feel free to share any resources you have found.

Now I have a question, does anyone know if it's true that Cytotec (Misoprostol) is not FDA approved for use on pregnant women?
    Mama of two beautiful boys!

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
    So are the children of one’s youth.
    Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
    ~Psalm 127:4-5a

@anajo I wouldn't trust the Business of Being Born as far as you can throw it. It's unresearched, narcissistic, celebrity opinion, culminating with Ricki Lake giving birth in her own bathtub. I could dissect its lies, half-truths and data massaging for you but it would take hours. What seems more plausible to you: that Ricki Lake has, by virtue of being a perky girl reporter a la Nancy Drew, uncovered systematic abuses, cover-ups, and poor practices by the medical community (despite having any knowledge, education or training in medicine, science, statistics or anything else she purports to interpret), or that she's promoting her own brand and selling you a load of self-serving hogwash? I wouldn't care one way or another except for the fact that many women believe her and put themselves and more importantly their babies at risk. I have absolutely nothing kind to say about those movies, and I do not think it is a topic on which "reasonable people can disagree." Just know this-- when I, or anybody else, write scientific papers or books, they go through a rigorous fact-checking process called peer review. If what I say is not 100% in line with the state of knowledge in the field, it is not permitted to be published. I have to provide rigorous support for any new claims. If I publish it anyway, I could lose my credentials and any future ability to contribute to the field or conduct research. Natural Childbirth, Anti-vaccinationist, etc books are *not* subject to this process. They are treated instead as opinion, rather than scientific, pieces, and are subject to the same 'review' as anything by Ann Coulter or Bill O'Reilly. A NCB author could write that babies are formed when the woman swallows the man's spirit (which is so much more poetic and spiritual than all that dry stuff about eggs and sperm). They could write that epidurals impact your labor curve and drug your fetus, leading ominously to cesarean sections. They could write that applying a clove of garlic to the vagina daily cures Group B Strep, obviating the need for intrapartum antibiotics (which, in a striking coincidence, they don't have prescribing powers to provide). They could write that obstetricians force women to have c-sections in order to make their golf games. All manner of completely unsubstantiated tripe [all of these examples were lifted from real NCB literature-- I did not invent any of them], and people believe it and quote it with the same-- actually, more-- faith as they would a randomized controlled trial published in a top journal. It boggles the mind, the credulity and gullibility.

Re: cytotec: It's nearly impossible to conduct high quality drug research on pregnant women. Who would ever sign up for a study to determine whether or not a drug is toxic to a developing baby? Or what the safe dose is, and what the side effects are if you exceed that safe dose? Not me, nor anyone I know, nor any pregnant woman capable of understanding what she is signing up for. Therefore all we have to go on are animal studies, and studies in non-pregnant women, none of which meet the strict approval standards the FDA sets for US pharmaceuticals. (And rightly so). So, Cytotec will likely never be approved for pregnant women because it will likely never be studied. It's still used, and has been used, for 40+ years. Do you know what the risks to your baby are from cytotec? Fetal malformation and/or pregnancy loss, as it's an anti-metabolite. Exposure in the first trimester is very dangerous. Do you know how cytotec is used? To ripen the cervix and induce labor-- way way way long after any little baby bits are forming.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

@blade - Thank you for the Cytotec information. I didn't know much about it, thus my question.
    Also, you may not see any merit in the documentary; honestly I didn't expect you to. But it is important to be able to see where each side is coming from. I don't know Ricki Lake from any other context than this movie, but she helped me regain some of my faith in the medical field. This documentary gave me hope that ob/gyn's and midwives could work together to make an unmedicated, natural birth possible in a hospital setting (Ricki Lake did not have her baby in her bathtub, but rather in a birthing center attached to a hospital). True, people need to think and research for themselves to discover all the facts, but does that mean we need to criticize those who are not telling women what to do, but rather discussing some possible options?
    Sidenote: I could go on about the inconsistency and unreliability of peer reviews, official scientific research, etc, but I'm not too excited to go into a huge, long debate on a pregnancy forum which is full of happy, expectant moms. So here are just two: First, lead in paint and other household items for decades (http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1977/...taining-Paint/). In this case, the official research was conducted while 100's of millions of people were adversely affected by lead-tainted items. It was only after years of exposure, that almost a total ban was put in effect. Secondly, "Some dietary supplements are beneficial when taken appropriately" was finally decided by the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm050816.htm). Even an "uneducated, non-Medical" person could have told you that for the past 50+ yrs. Both the decisions were ultimately correct, however peer-review and official-sanctioned research is not sacrosanct and is usually years behind the times.
    Mama of two beautiful boys!

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
    So are the children of one’s youth.
    Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
    ~Psalm 127:4-5a

I have another appt with my midwife this week, I can't believe its already been a month since my last appt! Time just seems to be zooming by! Such a contrast to last time, where each week seemed to drag on with no end in sight.

To be honest I've barely read anything pregnancy related this time around either. I've been reading birth stories, but was doing that before falling pregnant anyway! I think the first time around I read SO MUCH information that 2 years later, it still seems quite fresh in my mind. I guess I almost have a bit of a been-there-done-that mentality at the moment. I'm more likely to be reading advice on the practicalities of caring for a toddler and a newborn, and introducing said toddler to the newborn and how to prepare him for the impending arrive/disruption!

I suppose I've also been avoiding doing particular reading also. Leo's birth ended in an emergency c-section after coming to full dilation and pushing for 2hours (poor positioning OP, possibly ascynclitic & deflexed + big baby with big head), I was also told after the surgery that I have a narrow pelvic outlet and the surgeon would recommend c-sections for further deliveries, unless I really really really (her words) wanted to try for a VBAC.
    Before I was actually pregnant, I was all for the VBAC attempt. Now that I actually am pregnant my views have altered somewhat and the thought of labouring again for a potentially similar outcome (c-section) is creating a lot of turmoil for me. I know I would be ecstatic if I had a successful VBAC, but I feel my potential fears about being in labour again would actually cause things to stall and increase the likelihood of a similar outcome. Thus, at this point I am definitely leaning toward a scheduled caesarian...although that decision does make me feel somewhat inadequate, in that I won't be even attempting to birth this baby naturally. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....complicated stuff that I've been avoiding!
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe