Names Searched Right Now:
Page 25 of 115 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast
    @blade- Thanks for the information. I will definitely keep it in mind this time around.
    @glamatomic- Congrats! I'm excited for you.
    @libbyj06- I'm glad you found a new doctor. Hopefully everything works out. My son came early too (3 days), but you never know from child to child.
    Mama of two beautiful boys!

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
    So are the children of one’s youth.
    Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
    ~Psalm 127:4-5a

Hi libby, I don't know the reasoning behind 40+3 (really can't think of anything). Many OBs are leery of using pitocin or cytotec on a scarred uterus since it augments the contractile strength and therefore increases the risk of rupture. Perhaps he is concerned about fetal growth and the stress that a larger baby would place on your uterus (babies grow most rapidly in the third trimester, so each week that goes by, the baby does get appreciably larger).

Cytotec is used as an induction agent, as is intravenous pitocin, and cytotec definitely augments contractions. It's a dollop of medication that's placed in your vagina, right next to the mouth of the cervix. The other option is a foley balloon (a urinary catheter has a balloon which is inflated once it's placed; this holds it in the bladder and keeps it from falling out. A quick n'dirty induction method is to place the ballon right at the mouth of the cervix, and inflate it. This automatically dilates you to about 3cm and for many women it gets the ball rolling naturally).
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

blade- I've been looking online for reasons why an OB would only allow 3 days but I can't seem to find info either. The only thing I could think of is weight/size of baby and maybe they think it will get too big and up the risk of rupture? But only 3 days overdue? My son was 6.11 and he seemed so small to me. I also didn't get really big either. I know this baby could be totally different but...

Also, I've read on a couple different sites that using pitocin just barely increases the risk. I'm not sure where I read that now, i've looked at so many sites my brain is blurred and am not sure if that is completely accurate. I have heard of the foley balloon and will probably ask about that. I think if I was showing some progress as far as dilation and effacement he would possibly allow small doses of pitocin to get things going, but maybe not I'll have to ask. That seems reasonable to me and I would be up for trying that before agreeing to a repeat. Just giving a woman 3 days to go into labor seems so unfair and like such a small shot. I would really hate to have to agree to a repeat for just that reason alone without even getting a TOL. If I get a good shot and still end up with a section, at least I'll know I did all I could.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Also, I doubt this practice of his is entirely arbitrary. You should absolutely ask for his reasoning; it's well within your rights (and we might all learn something, too).

Many people do induce or augment with pitocin, but others refuse wholesale. This is the nitty-gritty of medicine; different practitioners really do have different set ways of managing something.

Also, as you know 2nd+ babies do often come earlier than the due date; first babies are often a bit later, but since your cervix has already done this before it will efface & dilate earlier, and full-blown labor usually comes earlier too.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

The materniT21 came back negative for all! (It only tests for downs syndrome, trisonomy 18 and 13.) So thankful it only took a week to get results. So now we have a good NT scan , good materniT21, and that quad screen with a 1 in 200 for downs syndrome. From everything I've heard from my OB/read the MaterniT, although really new, should be the most accurate.

Feeling a million times better, but I think I'll still be a little on edge until the next ultrasound later this month.

@libby, hope you found your doctor this time and can cross that worry off the list.
    @alfiejoe, do you know any more from your bloodwork? fingers crossed everything is just fine.