Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elena?

Elena?

I'm writing a Harry Potter fanfiction, the character I want to name is likely part Russian or part Italian and I am considering naming her Elena.

However, I'm concerned that this will bring to mind Elena Gilbert from The Vampire Diaries too much.
    They're really nothing alike, but I'm not sure if it's enough of an issue for me to nix the name.
    Do you think it'd be workable? It's different genres, but I was just wondering if it's too tied to TVD. Like Hermione is to HP, for example.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

I really like Elena, especially for an Italian or Russian character. I don't watch The Vampire Diaries so I didn't know that there was a character in it named Elena.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Haha, I love Harry Potter!!

However, when I read this, my mind immediatley connected with Elena from the Vampire Diaries. I've read the books and seen a few episodes of it, and find Elena a very displeasing name. It sounds like a perfect character, a Mary-Sue, if you know what I'm talking about. Of course in the VD, the character Elena is a Mary-Sue, so yeah. Elena sounds too perfect, but just that spelling for some reason with me.

Suggestions:
    Alena
    Alayna
    Eleyna
    Lena
    Leah

Good luck!!
    17 year old name lover, enviromentalist, and future author

For the girls: Alice, Natalie, Opal, Mallory, Joanne, Kathleen, Serah, Luna, Mira, Ainsley, Isadora, Quinn, Oaklee, Romilly

For the boys: Jasper, Noah, Camryn, Atticus, Mitchell, Jett

My name is Charlotte, but I've been called Charlie since fifth grade, so why stop now?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_greenbeam View Post
    Haha, I love Harry Potter!!

However, when I read this, my mind immediatley connected with Elena from the Vampire Diaries. I've read the books and seen a few episodes of it, and find Elena a very displeasing name. It sounds like a perfect character, a Mary-Sue, if you know what I'm talking about. Of course in the VD, the character Elena is a Mary-Sue, so yeah. Elena sounds too perfect, but just that spelling for some reason with me.

Suggestions:
    Alena
    Alayna
    Eleyna
    Lena
    Leah

Good luck!!
    I thought about Alena, but I figured that Alena would be more Mary-Sue seeming due to the spelling, to most readers.
    I'm really trying to avoid mary-sueisms as much as possible, I know how annoying they are! I like Lena, and would likely have that be her father's nickname for her, but I don't think it's enough as a first name for her.

Argh, the challenges of female OCs.

And thank you!
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    I love the name Elena, though the book series of the Vampire Diaries ruined it for me. The TV series is good, though.

Names for nn Lena:
    Helena (in European languages it sounds more like hay-LAY-na than Helen-a.)
    Yelena
    Milena

Other ideas:
    Lilia
    Klara
    Maryana / Mariana
    Mirela
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.