Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Should I change my name- and what to?

OK, so I am a teen nameberry for two reasons. One of them, and the biggest, is because I hate my own name. It's never been in the US top 1000, which is good and bad. I wouldn't mind if it was something people can pronounce, especially since people don't use common sense when pronouncing names (Isla comes to mind as well).

My first name is Reine. A French word name for 'queen'. Recently, I found out that my family doesn't even pronounce it correctly, which makes me think I look stupid (I know a Ciara who pronounces it Sierra and a Kiera who pronounces her name Kiara, and I think it is sort of silly). If I had been pronouncing right, maybe I would have been able to avoid all the weather jokes, because my parents pronounce it 'rainy', while the French pronounciation is closer to Wren or Rain.

I've never liked it (I remember complaining about it when I was six), and people think it is a kry8tv and yuneighkke spelling. I've even had people make remarks when I've been spelling my name or correcting the pronounciation, "Your parents wanted to be different with the spelling, eh?"

I've finally convinced my mother to let me go by a completely unrelated name when I go to high school next year. I've already tried to go by three different pronounciations (Rainey, Rain and Renee- which is the most common pronounciation people say). My middle name is Rebecca, which is OK, but I really don't like how common it is. I know a ton of Rebeccas and Beccas.

So, I'm trying to figure out a name for me to go by next year when I become a high school freshman. A completely unrelated name, that I might possibly add as a third middle name.

Right now, the front runner is Lucy. I adore the sound and meaning, and the name has great media credentials (books, TV, Charlie Brown, anime, and Skillet). I don't know anyone named Lucy in real life, and I cannot find it in any local yearbooks.

What do you think of my name Reine? Should I change it? And what to?

I think these names would work well on me:

Lucy
    Kira
    Mae
    Astra
    Skye
    Arabellla
    Wren
    Aurelia
    Sadie
    Ellie
    Chloe
    Zoe
    Ria
    Mia
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor heaven "lena" ~ vivienne ailsa ~ felicity emma "fay" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Well, three middle names... that's a whole lotta name. I love the idea of Wren, or even Ren. Renee is appealing in a way, in that it's close to the name your parents gave you. I'd go with Wren or Ren, or maybe if I were feeling daring, Rainer after Rilke (nn Rain?) You could go by Wren for a while, see how it fits, and legally change your name later if it suits you. Lucy is great, but the transition may be harder.

I love the name Lucy, I almost changed my name to that when I had my name legally changed. I can kinda relate to your story there, a lot of people assumed my original name [Kristjana] was a creative spelling [when in fact it was the traditional Icelandic spelling] and they would always be botching the pronunciation of it, mistaking it as other names, misspelling it.. and because of that I ended up hating it.

Aside from Lucy on your list, I like Sadie as well. You could do something like Sadie Mae Rebecca, or Lucy Mia, and so forth

I know you've experimented with alternative pronunciations, but I would still still a little closer to Reine. Since Reine is pronounced a bit like "Wren" in French, I think Wren is perfect! I think it's pretty, nature-related, soft, easy to say and spell. It's also a logical jump from Reine so if people ask questions about why you use a different name, you can easily say, "Oh, well, Reine in French sounds like 'Wren,' so it stuck!" So you're not using Reine, but you are nodding to where you're coming from. Alternatively, I think Ria is pretty and could easily come from Rebecca (which I love).

I love the name Wren and Reine is pronounced pretty much the same way.

I understand how you feel though, about feeling silly going by a name that you found out your parents aren't even saying correctly. I knew a girl in high school named Siobhan (a BEAUTIFUL name, a variant of Jane, pronounced sha-vonne or shi-vonne) and her parents pronounced it sho-bin. I personally was horrified, as I have a great aunt named Siobhan and a cousin named Siobhan (my mom was born in Ireland). The girl Siobhan refused to believe the correct pronunciation, teachers used to always give her side-eye haha. It made me feel bad for her, but also, Siobhan isn't some random name, it's been around for a while. At least with Reine, it's a more known as a French word.

I still with Reine is pretty though, but I'd stick to something close to your name. Wren is very pretty.