Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Would you assume an Evangeline was Christian?

Evangeline is one of my all-time favourites, but recently I'm wondering if you think it's *too* religious sounding.

I know that it's actual history is not religiously-tied (as far as I'm aware it was invented by poet Henry Longfellow), but I feel that because it's so similar to 'Evangelism' it does sound very Christian. It sort of bothers me that she would have a name that most would assume was Christian. Not that I am anti-Christianity or anything, it's just that my children will definitely be raised Agnostic (with the freedom/opportunities to choose their own religion [or lack of] if they decide to) and I would hate for people to constantly tie my daughter to a certain religion.

What do you think? To a non-name-nerd, would Evangeline seem very Christian?

I might just be over thinking this because it's an especially touchy subject for me and it's a really beautiful name anyway.
    close to my heart / future darlings
    Rufus - Emmett - Amadeus - Wilfrid - Eoghan - Huw
    Estella - Oona - Jemima - Eilidh - Effy- Billie

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

No, not at all. I had never even made the connection!!! Then again, I'm Agnostic as well (raised in a liberal Christian household), so I don't really tie religion into many things around me.

Evangeline is gorgeous by the way!
    James ~ Ariston

Aurelia ~ Sidra ~ Elizabeth ~ Gia ~ Julia

The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

I would assume Evangeline was the child of evangelical Christian parents.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

Yeah, to me Evangeline does ring very Christian which actually adds to the appeal for me, but I could see how for you it would be a bit of an issue. I feel like most people are aware of terms like televangelist and evangelicals (at least in the US) so I feel like it's similar to naming your son Christian, y'know?
    I have completely random and eclectic taste in everything, including names.

No, I wouldn't make that assumption at all. For me, Evangeline is grouped with Juliet, Isolde, Guinevere, Eurydice, etc. as romantic, love story names.
    Obsessing over names since 1964