Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Just adding this: I had a greek professor at university and she said sur-see. Pronunciations evolve and change over time (hebrew names is a great example of this). I don't get mad when people can't pronounce norwegian or norse names correctly, I realize the sounds are hard and different for english-speakers.

If you don't want a bad guy, Circe is probably not the right choice for you though! I myself think she was kind of cool, but that's just me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    It's not this thread that people got mad, other people on other thread, or people saying things like "well nameberry says this" well nameberry isn't perfect and I have a tough time getting things changed on here or "well in high school I learned this" or so on. I'm half Greek, raised in Greece for a while, I speak Greek, I worship the Greek gods. I like to think I'm sort of an authority on Greek :P

Glad to help though!
    I'm with you on this. I'm working on a list of "German" names that aren't actually German but instead Germanic. This drives me nutty and it's a problem on other sites as well. I figure once I have a larger list I can post it for P@m and Lind@ to consider all at once and not one at a time. Might be a good suggestion for you too do as well.

PS: Sorry for temporarily hijacking the feed.
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...

Maybe, just like in America, people say things differently in different parts of Greece. I have a friend who's half Sicilian and half Greek. His mom has lived in America for... Eleven years now and his dad moved in about 2 and 1/2 years ago to be with his grandkids. He's really from Greece, born and raised and since I'm so into Greek mythology, we talk a lot. He pronounces Circe like seer-see. Certainly a real Greek (not two generations removed or whatever) would say it correctly. He isn't very Americanized at all... I don't really know, but I'd believe him over a website any day.
    Kylee