Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I agree with Dantea. I always try my hardest to say names as they were meant to be spoken in their native languages as it feels a little disrespectful to force them into English just because they're hard to say.

I think if you want the 'ser-see' pronunciation then the Game of Thrones spelling Cersei would be the way to go
    I disagree, I don't think it's disrespectful, because other countries do it too! I am called Ah-nee in Taiwan by my family because they can't say Diana. Just like my sister is called Lih-suh, because they can't say Melissa. It bothers me a little bit since it really isn't my name, but they can't help it so I totally understand! It's not a matter of being disrespectful, it's just the spelling and sounds are different.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

More people will say Sur-see. My English teachers said Sur-see. On every Greek movie with the character it was pronounced Sur-see, including pirates of the Caribbean. Sure maybe traditionally in the original Greek it was Ker-kuh, but it has adapted a widely accepted alternative pronunciation.
    Wanting to be pregnant.

As for the cultural thing, Our Culture says it sur-see. It does not make you a dumb American. It does not make you disrespectful. If you are in America and you use the pronunciation Americans use, your just staying true to your culture. The dumb American thing really irks me. Our country is newer then others. Other cultures have taken names and changed them to fit their language, it is no different. Just because our culture is doing it now, and others did it a thousand years ago doesn't make us ignorant or disrespectful.
    Wanting to be pregnant.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I personally think a name is whatever you want it to be, and that it would be fine if you continued to pronounce Circe as "sur-see". I understand that "keer-kah" is the orignial correct pronunciation, but there are plenty of names that have gained multiple pronunciations over the years. Pronounce it however you want. If you live in North America, no one would look at "Circe" and say "keer-kah" anyway.

Ninanoo, I totally agree!
    Last edited by jessica123; November 6th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
    nineteen & renaming myself soon

I've never heard Circe pronounced as anything but sur-see and this includes all mythology classes from elementary school through college. While the original Greek pronunication may be different, the English pronunciation is sur-see so I don't see any problem with using that pronunciation (all the dictionary sites I've found online have pronounced the name as sur-see, so it's obviously a common pronunciation). Several names have different pronunciations in different languages (Genevieve, Gemma, Selene and Jaime, for example) so I don't think that it should be an issue. If you were talking about some random Greek name that didn't have any history of use in English speaking countries, then I would say stick to the Greek pronunciation but since Circe has been used in English speaking countries for hundreds of years, I think you're fine with the sur-see pronunciation.