Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I have NEVER heard of this name but if it makes you feel any better, my first instinct would be to pronounce it Sur-see. I think that makes most sense the way it is spelled. I would never think Keer-kah in a million years!? So is it possible that it would maybe be a non issue if most people would see it the way you want anyway??

My daughter is Mhairi pronounced Mar-ee. But the correct gaelic pronunciation of it would be Var-ee as Mh = V sound...However, nobody seems to know this and not once in her 2.5 years has anyone asked if her name is Var-ee. Honestly, I say use it if you still like it. You can pronounce it any way you want since it's a very unknown name..that's my opinion anyway!!

I thought Circe was pronounced sur-see! I am a little baffled because I was taught in my both my high school AND college lit classes to pronounce it sur-see. Who knew there was another way? I am glad it was brought to my attention.

I would still use the sur-see pronunciation if I was in your position. If you love the name, and there is more than one acceptable pronunciation, then use the one you have your heart set on!
    Currently crushing on:

Russell. Calloway. Brighton.

Evadne. Cecelia. Thomasina.

Here's the thing: As a European I feel many non english / american names are pronounced "wrong" in the US. And by wrong I mean, that you usually pronounce them the English way, not the original. The Hebrew Levi "Leh-vee" becomes "LEE-vy", Latin Titus "TEE-tus" becomes "TY-tus" and so on. So I don't see why you can't pronounce Circe the English way.
    Last edited by taylorblueskye; November 6th, 2012 at 08:31 AM.

You have the prerogative to pronounce it any way you like. When I saw the name (never seen it before now) I thought it would be pronounced like Cirque (as in Cirque du Soleil)...and I liked that. So go with whatever you like best. Or, alter the spelling to reflect the way you want it pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post
    You have the prerogative to pronounce it any way you like. When I saw the name (never seen it before now) I thought it would be pronounced like Cirque (as in Cirque du Soleil)...and I liked that. So go with whatever you like best. Or, alter the spelling to reflect the way you want it pronounced.
    The name always makes me think of the Circus. Lol.
    I think it comes down to a fairly simple question: do you love the written name or the pronunciation more?
    If its the pronunciation why not use Cersei instead?
    I tend to feel that one should try to pronounce the name in the way it originated.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).