Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My first thoughts were Etta and Carolina--Carolina has a very similar feeling to Carina to me, I saw one site that said Carolina means "little feminine one", although I think the more usual translation is "free (wo)man"--Charlotte/Caroline/Carolina/etc. all stem from Charles, meaning "free man", and so that would transition to "free (wo)man" when the feminine variants. On another site I saw that Etta means "little one", which I think is cute. I don't know how reliable that is, but since Etta could be a nn for so many names (and the -ette ending in French is usually diminutive, like "my little ____"), it makes sense. I think Etta would be an adorable replacement!

It doesn't have "little" in it, but I found a site that says Lena means "the bright one", and I think that's adorable and just so perfect! I love it.

Good luck!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

Thank you all for all the replies already, I appreciate it so much As far as sound over meanings, I really do love the meanings behind names, that might be a little weird but they truly mean a lot to me. I've been an etymology buff for as long as I can remember and I've always loved "collecting" meanings of names

I have to say I absolutely love Capella, wow. I looked at it and seriously just kind of got butterflies in my tummy... or maybe that's just her, haha! I also like Serena and Selina/Selena (I like it this way a bit better - opinions?). Nina is cute, but I'm afraid it's a little short - maybe there's a name it could be a nickname of?

I have thought about spelling it Karina instead, but it still just kind of unsettles me some Karenna sounds very pretty, and is not a name I've heard of before. I also like Carolina, and Etta and Lena are SO cute! Wow... I wasn't expecting so many ideas so fast Thank you all, again... now I'm even more lost but it's in a much better way!!! So here are all the names I'm considering now:

Capella (Seriously... I really, really love this. Wow!)
    Carolina
    Etta (Ideas for a longer form?)
    Karenna
    Lena/Selena
    Nina (Again, ideas for a longer form?)
    Serena

Thank you guys again, so so much... this website rocks!

If it makes you feel better about not using "Carina," the carina is an anatomical structure which in surgery we call "the crotch of the chest." There-- ruined any lingering attachment you had to the name.

Capella is pretty, and many people will think it's related to the word chapel (as in a cappella), but it means she-goat, if that bothers you.

Calandra (a lark, n Greek)
    Calantha (beautiful flower)
    Callista (most beautiful)
    Carissa (similar meaning- my beloved)
    Cassia (cinnamon)
    Celina (the moon goddess)
    Chiara (bright, famous)
    Clarissa (most bright)
    Cliona (a mythical Irish fairy queen)
    Corinna (maiden)
    Corinthia (from Corinth)
    Cynthia (from a particular mtn in Greece, sacred to Artemis)

Same meaning:

Carita (same name, but Scandinavian)
    Adora
    Philomena
    Kalila
    Kyra
    Alaine
    Alana
    Esme
    Miranda
    Amica
    Last edited by blade; November 3rd, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

I would still name her Carina. I think the association would fade.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

How about Caramia? Same nicknames, almost identical meaning.
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    by any other name would smell as sweet." --Shakespeare