Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Girls
    Dove - my great-great aunt was a Toba in Yiddish, which means either "dove" or was a translation from the Hebrew Tova. My family can't actually agree which. She was a really cool lady. My sister wants to name a boy Tobias after her, going to down the Tova-translation fork in the road, so I thought it would be nice if I used Dove. (And Yonina, in Hebrew) So it's whimsical but not just-because? But I admit its weird.

Marigold & Mariposa - keep circling back to these My husband's grandmother is a Marie, pronounced MAR-ee, not muh-REE. Whereas my own family has Goldies. Marigold is so sunny and happy. I debate using it as a first or not. Mariposa is on the same list. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use Mariposa as a first, especially since we aren't really Spanish.

I love whimsical names! I recently came across a girl around my age named Fable! I was both surprised and excited to see a name like that on someone my age. It was really cute on her. Rather than people thinking it's weird, she said she gets complements on it all the time. I asked her what her full name was too-- Fable Melissande Bliss. I've had a huge name crush on Fable, Bliss, and long whimsical combinations like this since I've come across it in use on a real person.
    Last edited by jessica123; November 5th, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add informatin.
    nineteen & renaming myself soon

Oh I'd simply adore to use Thisbe as a first name. Hopefully, when I get married, my husband will agree!

I'm more of a whimsical type anyways. I've always seen the allure of Fable and Thisbe over Anna or Sarah.
    Catelin Geneva
    10th grader

Top Combos: Rowena Story and Atlas Fox

Circe ; Isolde ; Freya ; Sansa
    ::
    Magnus ; Casimir ; Ronan ; Atlas

I'd love the idea if a nature based name but my SO is a very classical namer (after much protest I got him to take a quiz since he doesn't want to talk about names since we aren't tic or pregnant) so I doubt that will ever happen. I might get my fill in with ethnic names that reflect my great-great grandmothers heritage -> since it's a family tradition for everyone to have one. (I'm not saying what country for privacy reasons).
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...

I think the middle is perfect for whimsical names, especially if your baby has a common or classic first name. In fact, this might be my favourite kind of name, and I regularly look for pairings and add to my list.

Some of my current favourites:
    Bloom
    Jubilee
    Loveday
    Thisbe (glad its getting so much love on this board)
    Ulalume

Devereux
    Finch
    Ptolemy