Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish Names?

Polish Names?

My husband and I are learning Polish, and when we have kids we are going to be raising them in a bilingual household. Therefore, we would like to have names that sound good in both Polish and English. Names we already love... Merrick Liam, and Konrad Dominic. These arent Polish, but do you think theyd sound ok with the Polish language?

In addition to your opinion.on that wed also love some suggestions for Polish names, or names that woukd sound good in both Polish and English Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by bostonsavvy; October 29th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Konrad should work well in Polish. I'm not sure about Liam-- are there two vowels adjacent to each other like that? Also, Polish stresses the penultimate syllable in each word, so while KON-rad would work, Dominic would be attempted as dom-I-nic.

There was a period when the Slavic countries had a love affair with France and thought it very sophisticated; there were many loan-words from French into Polish & Russian and some French names were given.

Latin was for centuries the only official language of the Polish state so again, Latin words will be somewhat familiar.

Thoughts:

Adrien
    Agnieszka (favorite Polish name)
    Alphonse
    Antonia
    Basia
    Benedicta / Benedikta
    Celina
    Damian
    Daria
    Elias
    Felix
    Ilona
    Irena
    Jan
    Jaromir
    Joanna
    Julia
    Karolina
    Ksenia
    Liliana
    Lucija
    Maja
    Marcela
    Marika
    Milena
    Miran
    Natalia
    Paula
    Radomir
    Renata
    Sebastien
    Stefan
    Tatianna
    Tymon
    Urban
    Waldemar
    Zosia
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

I know three Polish girls, and they speak Polish mostly at home, and their parents do too.
    They're names are: Claudia, Natalia, and Sylvia. Mom's Ewelina, and dad's Luke.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

Czesc!

With the Polish pronunciation of foreign words you have to be really careful with 'c's. For instance Merrick would be pronounced "Mehr-eets-k" and Dominic would be pronounced "Dom-ee-nyee-ts" or "Dom-ee-nyee-ch". In English Merrick and Dominic sound almost identical to their Polish counterparts Marek (though Marc is a better translation) and Dominik but in Polish they're completely different.
    My parents have family friend named Konrad so I've always considered Konrad a Polish name. Plus Joseph Conrad's real name features a Konrad in the middle. Liam on the other hand is very un-Polish but it's Polish pronunciation doesn't sound unlike it's English one. The "ee" is "Lee-am" is just more stretched, as if it were "Lyee-am".

And now for a comprehensive list:

Christian
    Rafal (Raphael)
    Arkadiusz (Ar-ka-di-oosh)
    Kacper (Karts-pehr)
    Zygmunt (my grandfather's name, Polish variant of Sigmund)
    Sebastian
    Roman (popularly shortened to Romek)
    Jakub (popularly shortened to Kuba)
    Henryk (I've heard of a Cy Henryk)
    Max
    Aleksander (nm Olek)
    Vitkor
    Kamil
    Piotr
    Marcin (Mahr-cheen)
    Pavel (Paul Wesley's real name)
    Robert
    Patryk
    Daniel
    Adrian
    Kajetan (Kai-etan, Polish variant of Gaetan)
    Ludwik
    Vincenty
    Ignacy
    Lukasz/Lukas
    Filip
    Artur
    Mikolaj
    Tadeusz
    Kazimierz (Kasimir, Casimir - either way it's very Polish)
    Baltazar
    Fryderyk/Frederik (after Frederic Chopin, an icon of French-Polish relations)

Emilia
    Leokadia
    Renata
    Jadwiga (Yad-vee-ga, the Polish form of Hedwig nm Jadzia)
    Matylda
    Maja
    Halina
    Teresa
    Zofia (nm Zosia)
    Ania
    Alicja (Alits-ya)
    Elzbieta (Elj-byeta)
    Arleta
    Malgosia (Mao-gosha, nm for Malgorzata which is Margaret)
    Izabela
    Elvira
    Eva
    Kinga
    Dominika (my name!)
    Agata
    Zuzanna (Zuzu would be a really cute nm)
    Vitkoria
    Evelina
    Grazyna (Polish variant of Grace0
    Adelajda
    Aleksandra
    Adela
    Karolina
    Kasia (Ka-sha, Polish form of Kate and nickname for Katarzyna)
    Asia (Asha, nm for Joanna)
    Daria
    Valeria
    Aurelia
    Otylia
    Magdalena
    Sylvia
    Violetta (nm Viola)
    Sonja
    Mirka (short for Miroslava, but I know someone who's full name is Mirka)
    Marcelina (great-aunt of mine, prn Marts-elle-ina)
    Kora

Save for Adelajda, Otylia, Aurelia, Valeria and Adela, these are all people I know so they've all got authentic Polish guarantees. Plus many of these names belong to family friends in Australia so they work just fine in an English setting. The names containing a "v" in Polish would originally have a "w", but having a "v" in place doesn't neccessarily de-Polish the name.

Also, if you're in the dark about pronunciation the speaker button on google translate can give you a good idea. Another tip with finding names is to look at historical royal and noble families on wikipedia. These names would have had to fair well on both a Polish and Trans-European scale so it's a good starting point. It's also good to look at Polish saints because when I was choosing a confirmation name I came across many interesting ones - both Polish and Polonised .

Also, and I hope it's not a rude question, but I'm just curious as to why you and your husband are learning Polish? It's not everyday that someone decides to learn it haha!
    Last edited by minisia; October 29th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Some Polish boys' names that look similar to English names (My mother's family is Polish, but I don't speak it, so I'm not that positive if the pronounciation is similar):

Aleksander
    Dawid
    Dominik
    Fryderyk
    Henryk
    Jakub
    Jozef
    Wiktor

Same for the girls:

Agata
    Alicja
    Anastazja
    Angelika
    Cecylia
    Ewa
    Izabela
    Katarzyna
    Krystyna
    Oliwia
    Roza/Rozalia
    Weronika
    Wiktoria
    Zofia
    Zuzanna

You might also want to check out the blog Legitimate Baby Names. The blogger's recent entries cover trends in Polish baby names and pronounciations are provided.