Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    My name. Constantly mispronounced. It's irritating, tiring, and makes me resent my name and causes apathy towards it.

It's a big factor in why I'm changing it.

I've had: Mikayla, Ma-lee-ka, Ma-lie-ka, ma-lay-kuh, Mal-kuh, Monica, Malachi. Ugh. I'm so over it.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

You would think Lea would be pretty easy, but it turns out to be difficult for some people. In school days more then once a teacher I had for a year (and was pretty close with) called me Leia as in Princess Leia. That's happened multiple times, usually with people i know for quite a while and they always blame it on having a star wars marathon the night before! And subsitutes had this thing where they pronounced Lea "Leigh". Personally i would never think of Lea as having a silent A. That's like mispronouncing Grace to me, almost impossible.
    Right Now I would name them...
    ∆ Ellis Apollo • Vesper Aurelia ∆

∆ Casper Aloysius • Reverie Antonia ∆

Guilty Pleasures ...

Sailor . Waverly . Ever . Harlow . Elliot . Jasper . Lirit . Muse . Egypt . Ireland . Primrose . Calypso . Rowan

Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    You would think Lea would be pretty easy, but it turns out to be difficult for some people. In school days more then once a teacher I had for a year (and was pretty close with) called me Leia as in Princess Leia. That's happened multiple times, usually with people i know for quite a while and they always blame it on having a star wars marathon the night before! And subsitutes had this thing where they pronounced Lea "Leigh". Personally i would never think of Lea as having a silent A. That's like mispronouncing Grace to me, almost impossible.
    I've noticed that people say Lea as "leya" a lot too! Or they assume that the lack of H means lack of "ah" in sound. It's very interesting. I think it's because of names like Ashlea/Chelsea, where the -ea makes an "ee" sound.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

My name, Reine, is bad. I've gotten over ten different prns of it. Some make sense, like Raine and Renee. Others, like Renny, Reena and Raina don't. Of course, the correct way to prn it is kind of like Wren, but no, my parents say it Rainy.

Of course, I can't really complain, since I always mispronounce things. I thought Penelope was Pen-el-ope for years, until I finally heard it out loud and I was like :0 what name is that? Persephone was Purse-eh-phone, Athena was uh-thay-nuh, and Aphrodite was af-ri-dight. Hermione was Her-mee-en, Chloe was Shi-low (I thought Clo-ee was an entirely different name spelled Cloey), Aaliyah was Ay-leah, Maya was Mae-uh, Mariah was Maria, Kyra was Kye-ruh, Imogen was Immo-gin (with a hard g) and Alicia was Uh-liss-ee-uh!
    About a month ago, I found out that Esther wasn't Ez-thur but Ess-tur! Just to name a few. I could list forever- like I thought the 'c' in Bianca was pronounced like an 's', or Cheyanne was pronounced like Shay-ann...

Weirdly, I automatically pronounced Isla and Kaia correctly.

Many foreign names are hard on Americans, especially when the consenants are pronounced differently. For example, in Japanese, the 'r' sound is a mix between the former and 'L'. This is very hard for most native English speakers to say, and it can butcher a name. Yuri is not Yer-ee, but more like Yu-rlee, with no emphasis on either syllable. Similar thing with Sakura- it's not Suh-cure-uh, it's Sah-ku-rla, with a short middle syllable, so it sounds more like Sah-koo-rla with no emphasised syllables.

And because of this, so many names that are foreign and not integrated into the American baby name pool are often butchered.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I remember how much of a revelation it was when I realized that Isla was pronounced like the word "Island," not "es-lah." I am also in the "purse-a-phone" boat for Persephone.