Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I knew a "Miss Hermy" from my grandmother's church, and her full named was pronounced "HER-me-un." It was spelled Hermione. I didn't know how the name was supposed to be pronounced until taking a graduate Shakespeare course and we read Winter's Tale! The professor referenced Harry Potter as well, and I was floored. Suddenly a name I cringed at became beautiful!

(The same thing happened with Persephone. For a long time I thought it was "Purse-a-phone." Sigh...the problems that come with reading and not hearing words!)
    Current Favorites

Girls: Susannah, Mahalia, Tosca, Cassia, Jerusha, Jewel, Rose, Dove, Kate, and Eve
    Boys: Gideon, Gabriel, Rafael, Dominic, Benedict, Sam, Desmond, Theodore, Tobias, and Sebastian
    Guilty Pleasures: Aurelia, Cosima, Eowyn, Neytiri, Rukia / Remy, Gryffin, Gareth, Eddard, and Judah

Most of it probably depends on where you live and your background in languages, but 98% of people in North America seem to think Iker is pronounced "EYE-kurr"
    *cringe*

@shellezbellez, your last line reminded me of the episode of How I Met Your Mother where Ted pronounces "chameleon" as "cham-uh-lee-on" last summer I learned that 'carafe' is pronounced "kuh-RAFF" and not "ka-RA-fay". I think everyone has a word/name like that, lol.
    Lucia
    Ariadne, Eleanora, Minerva, Orchid, Sela
    Caius, Everett, Luther, Marius, Mordecai

I have an old friend whose name is Sy (Sigh). When we were in college people and teachers would look at her name and say "C" and it frustrated her so much.
    ~ Sadiya Hope & Wendy Monroe ~ 10/18/08 ~
    ~Phillipa Ellen Gray~ 2/14/13 ~
    ----
    | Louise | Helena | Carmen | Eileen | Rose | Vesper | Bridget | Lourdes | Jane | Katia |
    | Phoenix | Peter | August | Felix | Bennett | Dimitri | Xavier | Mack | Ty | Walter |

Caroline is pronounced "line" for English speakers and "leen" for French speakers. I don't know why some people pronounce the end like "lyn"? Isn't that why we have Carolyn as an option?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Caroline is pronounced "line" for English speakers and "leen" for French speakers. I don't know why some people pronounce the end like "lyn"? Isn't that why we have Carolyn as an option?
    Oh bless you! My fifth grade teacher called me caro-LYNN for the entire year and insisted she was right. Nightmare.

I once heard Heather said HEETH-er, like Heathcliff, which I guess makes sense in the strictest just looking at it terms, but really? I also remember when my cousin was first reading Harry Potter and saying Hermione in a way that made it sound like "macaroni"--pretty bad, but almost an adorable attempt. Milena also gets fairly mangled, although I'm never sure how much of that is people not knowing how to say it vs regional accents making it sound unrecognizable.