Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewish Berries?

Jewish Berries?

Some background info... my best friend and her family (who are like my family) are Jewish. My mother's side of the family are mostly Jewish as well, but we hardly ever speak to them. My mother wasn't raised Jewish, her father was Catholic and insisted the kids be raised Catholic so I never really got a chance to learn about Judaism. I have 2 questions...

1. Would it be weird for me to use a Hebrew name if I am not a practicing Jew, and have no plans to raise my children Jewish (or Christian for that matter) While I have mad respect for the Jews I know, I love them...they're the most accepting and loving people I know. And I also just love ancient and historical names, particularly the sound of Hebrew names.

2. What are your opinions, from a Jewish perspective, of these boy's names...

- Omri (I mentioned this to my best friend, and she was like "Wasn't he a bad guy?" Granted, she is not the most devout/practicing Jew... she isn't a scholar on the Torah by any means)
    - Judah
    - Asa
    - Avi

Thanks in advance!
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I'm a Jew, and I don't think there is anything weird about giving your child a Hebrew name. There are millions of little Jacob's, Ethan's, Michael's, Noah's, Daniel's, Joshua's, etc. As for the names you're thinking about it's a little different. I do know two Christian children (rather devout) named Asa. They seem to have no trouble with the name.

I think the other ones give off a Jew vibe. I think it will be assumed by anyone with a hint of knowledge about religion that you are Jewish. A little non-Jewish Omri is sort of like a little Jewish girl named Mary - although it isn't completely unheard of, it's pretty rare and a bit of a head scratcher.

have you thought of Reuben?

Quote Originally Posted by lensie View Post
    I'm a Jew, and I don't think there is anything weird about giving your child a Hebrew name. There are millions of little Jacob's, Ethan's, Michael's, Noah's, Daniel's, Joshua's, etc. As for the names you're thinking about it's a little different. I do know two Christian children (rather devout) named Asa. They seem to have no trouble with the name.

I think the other ones give off a Jew vibe. I think it will be assumed by anyone with a hint of knowledge about religion that you are Jewish. A little non-Jewish Omri is sort of like a little Jewish girl named Mary - although it isn't completely unheard of, it's pretty rare and a bit of a head scratcher.
    I don't have a problem with people thinking I am Jewish, I just want to make sure it's not like a "taboo" name like Judas or something. And if the other names are weird or strange to the Jewish culture... like I said, I have many friends who are Jewish and I actually plan on taking Rowan to a Jewish preschool (only because I live in the south, and all the preschools are religious in some way and I would rather it be Jewish than Baptist.) So we'll be slightly involved in the culture. I just don't want to make a silly faux pas.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

A lot of the names are bible names and used by both Jews and Christians, so I don't see the problem (Judah is one of them btw) A lot of atheists give their kids bible names.

I think you run into problems if you want to name your child after a strong figure such as Jesus or Lucifer.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Nathaniel

Pinterest | Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables