Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is August a classic?

DH and I are making our top names list for baby #2 and I can't make up my mind how I feel about his current favorite: August. Augustus is a family name on his side, and while I do like August I can't make up my mind if it fits into our normally classic style. I normally love very strong classics with cute nicknames in the first name spot and would like to use August as a more unique middle, but DH really likes hearing it right out front. Our DS is Jackson Fielding nn Jack and my top choice for a boy Charles Everett nn Charlie. If #2 is a girl she will be Elizabeth nn Lollie (middle name TBD).

What do you think? Does August work with brother Jack and potential siblings Charlie and Lollie.

For a family name in the middle I'm toying with:
    August Lee
    August James (AJ?)
    August Daniel
    August David

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, of course! Even though Augustus is the traditional English form, August is the German cognate, and a very royal one at that! It's much more classic than Jackson, for instance, which I don't consider to be a traditional name.
    Augustine or Austin would be good choices too.

I love August David and August James (though I'd prefer Augie or Gus rather than AJ).
    Bertrand -bertie-, Wilfred, Léon, Axel, Cuthbert -cubby-, Maxentius, Aubrey, Phoebus, John-Henry.
    Émilienne, Livia, Annabella -abbey-, Maud, Rosamund, Kimborough, Clemency, Elizabeth-Charlotte.

It is our boy pick. And I love it because it is classic but quirky at the same time and that is very much our style. It has a bit of a hipster vibe to it as well and that is another thing I like about it. I love the NN's Auggie or Gus.

I like August James the best.
    1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us

I love August. I consider it a less common classic as it has always been on the US charts, at it's lowest in the 70's and 80's it was in the #800's and it's certainly rising pretty fast, at its most common it got up to #101 and I think it may become more popular than that but I don't think it'll hit the top 10 or anything. So I'd say it's both classic and trending and fits right in with the other sib(s).

It's never been off the Top Thousand.

I love it. I first fell in love researching a historic anti-slavery fighter/eventual judge from pre-Civil War Kansas.

I have it on my list, it's just not on my first-son options because I have some family members I want to name after.

I like August James best, if you're worried about classic James is certainly that. And I like AJ more than I like Auggie or Gus as nicks, not that August even needs a nick.