Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jewish Berries?

I knew a non Jewish boy named Asa in middle school, no one ever gave him any trouble. Granted he was one of the popular kids.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

The only name you mentioned that i would find odd on a non-Jew is Avi. Omri is the main character in The Indian in the Cupboard books, and isnt super-common among Jews of all kinds the way Avi is: i don't actually know anyone named Asa, its not particularly popular right now either. In general, giving your kid an Anglicized biblical name doesn't come across as stealing or inappropriate or something. If you were going to use Yehuda instead of Judah it would be more strange, kwim?

1. No, I don't see a problem with it. Hebrew names are not off limits, lots of jews have non-hebrew names as well.

2. Omri is the one I would most likely assume was jewish if I met him. It's in the same group as Liron, Elior, Anat & Chayyim. I would be a little surprised the kid wasn't jewish, but I'd be pleased as well. Omri is an amazing name! The others are hebrew, but not that jewish (IMO).

I'm not Jewish but having been raised very Christian I grew up knowing a lot of kids from Church with Jewish names. I think aknowledging your Jewish heritage even if you don't raise your child Jewish is a beautiful thought.

I don't see a problem with any of them. Something like Shlomo might be a little too out there for me but I don't find that any of the ones you listed fill that.

@spring13 I used to work with an Indian kid named Avinash nn Avi so I don't consider Avi to be an incredibly Jewish name.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    I'm not Jewish but having been raised very Christian I grew up knowing a lot of kids from Church with Jewish names. I think aknowledging your Jewish heritage even if you don't raise your child Jewish is a beautiful thought.

I don't see a problem with any of them. Something like Shlomo might be a little too out there for me but I don't find that any of the ones you listed fill that.

@spring13 I used to work with an Indian kid named Avinash nn Avi so I don't consider Avi to be an incredibly Jewish name.
    I knew a girl in high school named Avianna and people called her Avi, so I didn't even know it was a Jewish boy's name until I heard it on the show Weeds. I love the meaning "my father" because my dad passed away in 2007. So it's kind of a nod to him without naming a son after him.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.