Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Equal number of middle names

Hi Berries! I've noticed that sometimes parents give one child an extra middle name. Some famous examples are the Affleck's lovley named children Violet Anne, Seraphina Rose Elizabeth, and Samuel Garner* and Sarah Jessica Parker's (also lovley named) children
    James Wilkie, Marion Loretta Elwell, and Tabitha Hodge. I've also seen this pattern in real life and sometimes on Nameberry. My question is, do you like the pattern? Do you think it can cause sibling rivalry if one sibling has a longer name than another or do you think the number of middle names don't matter just as long as it sounds nice? Or are you in the one middle per child camp? I'm just wondering what other people think because I personally have no opinion on this ^_^

*This might be just be me but I realized something with the Affleck children:
    -Violet and Seraphina are connected by both being girls
    -Violet and Samuel are connected by both having one middle name
    -Seraphina and Samuel are connected by both having S names
    Abigail "Abby", Beatrix "Trixie", Charlotte "Charlie", Dianna "Annie" Sisters 4 Life <3

Top Two Combos: Violet Moon and Harrison Pike "Harry"

I definitely have an opinion on this! It's a total pet peeve of mine!!! OMG...it really bugs me when people do this...give one child a single middle name and then the next child two middle names!!! I absolutely think they should be the same number in the same family!!!! It just doesn't make sense (not to). And, IMO, one middle name is the way to go...I do not like double middle names at all. However, if you're going to go with two middle names, be consistent with all your kids!!!!! That's what I think :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post
    I definitely have an opinion on this! It's a total pet peeve of mine!!! OMG...it really bugs me when people do this...give one child a single middle name and then the next child two middle names!!! I absolutely think they should be the same number in the same family!!!! It just doesn't make sense (not to). And, IMO, one middle name is the way to go...I do not like double middle names at all. However, if you're going to go with two middle names, be consistent with all your kids!!!!! That's what I think :-)
    haha, I agree with her, not as enthusiastically though. It does bother me, but I think you'd have to ask the children themselves if it bothers them. From meeting people, I hear more often that two middle names is troublesome, most things are designed for one middle name. I was just recently going through forms to change my name since I just got married and they only ever had 1 middle name spot, even on social security! So I think it just makes things more difficult to have two rather than just one. You hardly ever use one anyway, why bother with two?
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Interesting question. My daughter has a double middle for two reasons: to honor her great grandmothers and to keep her initials from spelling ICK. I had never planned on a double middle, just the way it happened.

We could have just named her Ivy Mae, but it seemed to turn Ivy from being vintagey in to the ultimate country name

Now I'm wondering whether DH and I will really have to agree on three whole names for any subsequent children. Sounds like the ninth circle of hell to me, haha!!

Thanks for the answers <3 And I can see it both ways. On one hand, giving a child 2 middle names makes him/her stand out over siblings and that's not right, yet again if you wanted to name your daughter Beatrix Jane and didn't want the "BJ" initial, I can see if you would add an extra name such as Beatrix Lola Jane. I also think if one daughter is named Elizabeth Christine then I think it's ok if you named a second daughter Ivy Mae Lee since those are shorter names. Overall, I think its up to the parents (and I assume most parents have thought this through) BUT I still don't see why Seraphina got an extra middle name since her first name already dwarfs Violet in length! Oh well
    Abigail "Abby", Beatrix "Trixie", Charlotte "Charlie", Dianna "Annie" Sisters 4 Life <3

Top Two Combos: Violet Moon and Harrison Pike "Harry"