Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    @zaelia-- exactly. If Twin B is smaller than Twin A some OBs feel comfortable trialing a vaginal breech birth for #2. As she said, the worry is that even in a frank breech position the head is still the biggest part of the baby. In a normal vextex birth, if the head is too big to exit the pelvis you still have an option to safely deliver the baby-- csection, since the baby is still in the womb. In a breech, the body is out of the womb entirely so a csection won't accomplish anything; the head alone remains inside and is stuck. You have essentially no options to get the baby out, except to push the baby back up into the uterus and then attempt a csection. This is called the Zavanelli Maneuver and it is not very successful; most babies either die or are profoundly neurologically damaged as a result.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

I not only work in the medical field but also have delivered twins vaginally. I am an ER physician, however, and only have a limited amount of training in obstetrics.

My first daughter was delivered vaginally through a natural water birth. It was beautiful and everything I had ever dreamed of. Only my husband and midwife were in the room with me during the birth.

I delivered my twins vaginally in September. They shared two separate placentas, as they were fraternal (boy and girl). Although we did not know the genders going in to labor. I was aware that there was a very high chance that I would have to go to have a c-section but since I work closely with the OB/GYN, I was very firm about my wishes to deliver vaginally. I did not get my natural water birth as I did with my first child, but did not use any epidurals or pain management.

At one point, we almost ended up having a C-section because one of the baby's heart rates dropped for what felt like an hour but really was only a 1-2 minute period. They manually shifted him slightly in my abdomen and his heart rate went back to normal again. I was given the go ahead to begin delivering vaginally.

We had many more people in the room with this birth--an OG/BYN, a resident, several nurses and PA's or NP's. As a previous poster stated, I did not get much time with my daughter before she was taken away so I could deliver my son. The birth process was also much more laborious (no pun intended) as after the first one, I felt a giant relief, despite still having contractions. I felt the urge to stop but knew I could not. My children were delivered on a bed and not in a pool as with the first child.

My twins were born somewhat premature (3 weeks). My daughter was born 6 pounds 5 ounces and my son was only 4 pounds 11 ounces. My daughter was able to go home with us the next day but my son had to stay in the hospital for 4 days on oxygen. He was the one whose heart rate had dropped prior to the birth. It was very hard but this can happen even with singletons.

I'd have to say that honestly delivering twins vaginally was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life and I pray to God that I do not become pregnant with multiples in my next pregnancy because I don't think I'd have the guts to go through with it again(once again, no pun intended); I'd opt for the C-section. I don't regret my decision but I don't know if I could do it again.

I am, however, glad that I was so adamant about having a vaginal birth (if possible) because I do plan on having another 1 or 2 in the future and after a C-section, uterine scar tissue tearing is common and many other complications can arise secondary to having a C-section.

I wish you the best in your decision.
    Last edited by dayjoysky2815; October 25th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.