Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln

Lincoln

So....Lincoln is one of two boy names that my husband and I love. BUT, it is going to the girls? Would YOU name a girl Lincoln? Do you think loads of people will start naming girls Lincoln?

I don't know I do prefer unisex names on girls. Lincoln is a very masculine name but could be cool on a girl I suppose

As Blade pointed out earlier, Lincoln is firstly a place and therefore not inherently gendered.

But I still say YUCK wholeheartedly.

Isn't Lincoln first a surname, and then a place? Abraham Lincoln (not to mention his parents, and their parents, etc.) was born nearly 50 years before Lincoln, Nebraska, was established as a town (I checked!). Don't suppose that makes it any less unisex, but as surnames have tended to be passed down through sons (while this still happens with women, particularly in the south, this is why everyone insists Emerson, Avery, Aubrey, Harper, etc. have masculine origins), it skewers masculine. Honestly, I can't imagine Lincoln on a girl at all (it doesn't sound cute or edgy or feminine to me in the slightest!), and Lincoln has been on the rise for boys long before Kristen Bell used it.

Then again, since Jessica Simpson used Maxwell for girls, I've started to see people say, "Oh, I could never use Maxwell, it's unisex." (For crying out loud, it's not unisex--two celebrities named their daughters that! It's not a trend, it's idiocy!) I'm praying neither one of them catches on for girls. :/ But I think you're probably safe. It'll take a while for Lincoln to truly catch on for girls, if it ever does.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Isn't Lincoln first a surname, and then a place? Abraham Lincoln (not to mention his parents, and their parents, etc.) was born nearly 50 years before Lincoln, Nebraska, was established as a town (I checked!)
    It's definitely possible *shrugs*. I didn't check-just assumed Blade was right. Sorry if I was mistaken, ash.