Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Thanks everyone, you're making me feel better about using Rowan! It is hard when you love a name and only get negative feedback. It also reminds me that I should probably be kinder when giving feedback, sometimes I tend to be too honest. I really like a lot of names that were mentioned on here especially Grey, West, Greer, Ginger, Bonnie, Maeva, Scout (a name hubby and I were considering but might use as a middle instead too), Liam etc.

The other name we loved that got a lot of hate was Wolf. We were going to name our son Wolf, but ended up using it as a middle name because of all the negative feedback. I don't regret it, because his first name (Luther) suits him so much and I love it, but there is still a little part of me that might consider Wolfgang or Wolfrik on our next child if it is a boy. I can't seem to let it go!

I'm late to the party but I really like Rowan for a girl!

For me it is Glow & Dexter(g). Very few people like Glow and the only person that actually liked Dexter was my grandmother who said she preferred Dexter on a girl much more then a boy. But my motto is if at least one person likes/loves the name besides me then it's usable haha.
    Dayton.19.*Hopeful* Future Mom
    Naming future twinkles...
    Girlies:Aella Dorothy {Plum}.Judah Elisabetta {Whimsy}.Snow Amalija {Anne}
    Guys:Aubrey Jermaine.Eden Trust.Amias Calico "Mia"(My-uh)

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_haiku View Post
    Apollonia

You can tell by my sig that I do care what people think when it comes to names. Reason being- first impressions are everything, whether it's on a resume or college application or just a brief social interaction. So, I'd probably not use many names due to other people opinions.
    Good point. I sometimes get lost in what I think of the name and totally forget about real life stuff like resumes being taken seriously. Not that I like silly names like Sparkle Princess, but even names that are legit that most people aren't aware of might come across like that. Booooo.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Castalia, Ailova, Vasilisa, Indrina, Rosmira, Calluna, Faustine, Hildana, Selenia, Alianora, Fruzsina
    ... Alaric, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander, Caspian, Rhydian, Howell, Gustav, Theron, Onder, Sander

There's quite a few "dated" names I really like (Janice/Janis, Kathleen, Damon, etc.), but it bugs me when people try to get on their high horse and act like there's something wrong with them because they're "dated" and therefore couldn't possibly measure up to their "sophisticated" tastes. I can't speak for others, but I were in charge of hiring people for a company, and if someone had a name like Thomasina Honorine Clementine Jones (with many a superfluous "accent mark" thrown in), it would come off to me as extremely pretentious or phony. Assuming another person with a name like Whitney Katherine Smith, for example, had basically the same qualifications -- and I'm sad to say this -- but honestly, I'd go with the latter. As basic or mundane as a "dated" name may seem, it reflects more stability and an overall down-to-earth quality.

Er, but anyway, getting back on topic. Here are some other names I love that always seem to be looked down upon: (or largely ignored at the least)

Sonya - loved it since I was little, but the general consensus is that it doesn't have enough "sparkle" to stand out.
    Rosetta - I'm convinced that because it's not Rosalie (which seems to be the only Rose name anyone likes) nobody likes it, but I'm not entirely sure.
    Rosalind - (see 'Rosetta')
    Rosalyn - (see 'Rosetta', though it kind of ties in with Tatyana)
    Tatyana - this spelling only. Just because something has a Y in it, doesn't mean it's "tryndee" or "kre8tiv".
    Morrigan - is the Celtic goddess association too much for some? I can understand why though, so no hard feelings.
    Carmilla - novella by the same name may be why.
    Fawn

Emrys - too foreign-sounding?
    Firdaus - (see 'Emrys')
    Cassidy - yes, for a boy. Not sure why, but I really like it.
    Madison - I don't think I could ever use it because of the inevitable "but that's a girl's name!" argument. Honestly, if girls get to be named Ryan and who knows what else, why not a boy Madison!? I actually met one once though, which is what got me to really like it.
    ~Favorites of the moment~

Girls: Sonya, Caroline, Sakura, Carmilla, Terra
    Boys: Conrad, Fain, Marcelo, Serge, Isidoro

Vote on my name list!

Quote Originally Posted by whitneyq View Post
    I have so many names like that!
    Alouette, Agatha, Imogen, Percival, Percy, Lazarus, Job... plus many many more!
    I don't really mind that other people don't like them, it just means that they won't become uber popular in the next year or two!
    As soon as I saw this thread, I knew I had to post my favorite girl name that everyone hates, but it seems you beat me to it.

My favorite girl name is Percy, but my husband, my parents, my brother, my husband's parents, my friends, Nameberry, pretty much everyone has vetoed it.