Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drake8 View Post
    However, being a Levi is almost just as much of an honorary role as being a Cohen and yet no one cares or thinks twice when people name their son Levi. Why? I don't know, I suppose because Levi has been considered a first name for so long, even though it started almost identically as Cohen did in the world of surnames. Perhaps the trend of people naming their sons Cohen will eventually make the name as common as Levi.
    It's actually a very simple, basic, clear-cut distinction.

It's because Levi was a name of a man first. Just like Judah, which is a name and a tribe, or Israel. Cohen was never a given name of anybody. It is the difference between naming a kid Paul and naming a kid Pope.

Levi did not "start as a surname," it has been used continually as a given name by Jews for thousands of years. Your comparison is wildly off the mark.

Jews do name their sons Christian without being told it's inappropriate.
    Uh, that's not been my experience, personally. I have been told there are names that are inappropriate for me to use, not leastly Christian.

Sure, the names hold no special honor or rules in the Christian church, but no surname does. To a Christian, names that mean such powerful things about Christ could be seen as inappropriate on someone that does not believe in Him.
    And that would be their right to feel that way, so what's your point? I am not condoning Jews naming their kids Christian/Christopher/Evangeline, etc. Two wrongs wouldn't make a right, in any case, feeling that using Christian would be presumptuous (I'd tend to agree) wouldn't make it right to use Cohen.

And how many kids named Pope do you know?

Your comparison to Christian/Christine/Christopher is an especially awkward, unbalanced comparison, because those are names Christians do use, themselves. Jews do not use Cohen as a given name at all. spring13 and I aren't arguing that "it'd be okay for US to name kids Cohen, just not you." The anti-Cohen-as-name argument is not that it should only be used as a given name by religious Jews, it's that it's offensive to use it at all. That is not parallel to Christian.

I don't doubt it could become as popular (among non-Jews) as Levi. That wouldn't make it culturally sensitive. Popularity is not an ethical guide, especially when you're talking about respecting minority cultures.
    Last edited by stripedsocks; October 16th, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

If your husband grew up Orthodox, he'd be able to tell you that Cohen is not used as a first name at all. Orthodox Jews pretty much never use Jewish surnames as first names anyway, although that's really a side point. I can also assure you that there are very few Jewish kids running around named Christian or Christina. Even if other cultures use parallel terms (Syed is the best parallel i can think of) as first names, that's not true of the culture in question.

I don't find the use of Cohen as a first name among other people offensive so much as insensitive and really odd. I don't like that people divorce a significant word from its meaning for purely aesthetic purposes. My father's family are Cohanim, my husband's are Leviim, and those terms are used as honorifics: my ketubah (Jewish marriage contract) says my husband's name with the addition HaLevi, and my father's with HaCohen because those designations are part of their identity as Jews.

Its up to you what to name your kid: it really is. But don't pretend that people's objections to names like this are totally hot air. You can choose to dismiss them, but you can't really expect other people to accept that unequivocally.

I know a Cohen who is now 5 years old and has actually never had anyone question his name at all. When I first heard it I loved it and thought it was so interesting but now understanding the the term 'Cohen' I would never, ever, ever consider using it as a first name at all because I don't want to show disrespect to the culture and origins of the name. I wish it wasn't as offensive as it is because it is a lovely name but sometimes you just have to let things go!

As a jew I have to say please don't use Cohen. It's offensive, we don't use it as a given name either. Levi is not the same at all. (stripedsocks said it well, I'm not going to repeat.)

Blade had some pretty good suggestions for names I think.

Here in Canada, there are some hundred Cohens born every year. I know 3, and they have the most amazing personalities. I am a big fan of the name and think middle names that start with the letter S are a great fit with this name.