Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names Ruined By Local Accents?

I'm currently living in New England in the U.S.(though I'm not a native) and I'm just discovering there are certain names I like but the local accent just ruins the pronunciation! People here tend to famously drop the "r" at the end of some words but add an "r" where there isn't one at the end of others! Also, the "or" letter combo tends to get pronounced "aw". It's driving me nuts and wreaking havoc on my love for names!

For example:

Nora = Nawra

Leta = Leter

Marlow = Maaaahlow

Xavier = Zavyah

Yuck. To be fair, it seems like older generations have heavier accents than younger ones so there may be hope!

Have any names been ruined by the accent in your area?
    Mother to Phoebe Isobel

Eve Elise|Cora June|Sybil Maeve|Tessa Kate

James Gabriel|Ronan James|Thomas Xavier|Simon Alexander

I have lived on the outskirts of Liverpool all my life. I don't have a Scouse accent myself but about 80% of the cities population seem to. Nothing sounds nice in that accent. Absolutely nothing. I loathe hearing it. Any fellow Brit will know what I'm talking about "-_-
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

I'm there with you on the New England accent. I have one myself even though I live in the area of the US with the least amount of an accent.
    My fiance is Martin, which comes out as Mawtin.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire

My grandmother's father, aunts, and uncles called one of her aunts Maudie Aurilla (rhymes with "gorilla") when they were mad or frustrated at her. I looked up her name one day and found out it was Maude Aurelia. WHY would you pronounce the beautiful Aurelia to rhyme with gorilla?? Gotta love those thick Southern drawls...
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Dean ◊ Micah ◊ Gideon ◊ Tobias ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Edith ◊ Georgia ◊ Gwen ◊ Catherine ◊ Lydia ◊ Phoebe

I live in the western US and the older generation here tend to flatten there 'a' sound, I don't really know how to describe it, but names like Hannah tend to be nasally sounding kind of like hay-nah
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot