Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need help! Baby girl in March - older half sis complicated things!

Hubby and I are expecting a baby girl in march and 12 year old sister from previous marriage is less than thrilled! We need a name for this baby that won't sound too much like sister Emily Catherine. plus I teach school so most common names are out. We loved the boy name Brody Logan but baby girl is more complicated. We both like grace as a middle name, last name starts with W. I like formal first names with youthful nickname options. Prior to learning sex of baby, I loved the name Lila Rheagan (ree-gan) but hubby vetoed. Lilian is family name and lily grace is cute to me, but Emily's best friends name is lily and so we are worried about using it. Meanwhile, some family members are pushing for Emma for baby. Emma and Emily? Not likely! Any interesting suggestions? Looking for the right strong yet feminine name! (PS we are Sara and Matt - So common and over used! We want something a little different!)
    Last edited by girlie67; October 14th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

If you liked Lily Rheagan and Lily is out, then why not just use Rheagan as the first name? I would spell it Regan if you want it pronounced Ree-gan though. Rheagan may be mispronounced as Ray-gan.

Other suggestions with cute nickname options:

Michaela Grace -- my favorite (nn Kayla or Micki)
    Katerina Grace -- since you don't want common names, you can use this variation of Katherine (nn Rina, Kate, Teri, or Katie)
    Abigail Grace (nn Abby)
    Olivia Grace (nn Liv or Livi)
    Elena Grace (nn Laine or Lainey)

Aw, sorry things are a little tough with Miss Emily! Hm. This sounds a little complicated - I'm not sure which direction to go in for you, so I'll throw a few out and see what works for you...

By the way, absolutely don't use Emma! Definitely not fair to Emily Catherine. And, I'd worry about Lily as well, though Lilian could be a middle name, if you aren't set on Grace (or use two?).

Anneliese - Annie, Elie (doesn't work with Grace in the middle, but Lila or Lilia - for Lilian - work)
    Caroline - Cara, Carrie, Caro, Carly
    Delilah - Lilah, Dela
    Estella - Essie, Essa, Stella, Ella
    Fiona - Fifi, Fina, Fia
    Gwendolyn - Gwen, Gwennie, Dolly, Wendy, Gigi
    Genevieve - Gen, Gennie, Genna, Evie, Gigi
    Juliet - Jules, Jet
    Lydia - Lydie
    Miranda - Mira, Mimi
    Maribelle - Mari, Belle
    Rosanna - Rosie, Rosa, Sanna, Annie, Anna
    Ramona - Romy, Mona
    Vivienne - Viv, Vivi
    Violet - Vi, Vivi, Vio, Lettie

My favorites are:

Ramona Grace - "Romy Grace"
    Genevieve Grace - "Gigi" or "Evie Grace"
    Vivienne Grace - "Vivi Grace"
    Rosanna Grace - "Rosie Grace"
    Anneliese Lilia - "Annalee"

Best of luck!

Lemon
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

I agree you should not do anything similar to Emily Catherine and Emma is too close. I can see the problem with Lily too. Some possibilities that work well with Grace as a mn:

Adelaide
    Aurora
    Beatrix
    Caroline
    Clementine
    Cora
    Daphne
    Delilah
    Dorthea
    Eden
    Edith
    Eleanor
    Eliza
    Felicity
    Genevieve
    Helena
    Isadora
    Jane
    Josephine
    Julia
    Juliet
    Leonie
    Lucia
    Lucy
    Lydia
    Margaret
    Margot
    Matilda
    Nadia
    Natalie
    Octavia
    Penelope
    Phoebe
    Ramona
    Rosalie
    Roxanne
    Valentine
    Viveca
    Vivian

Just want to say, Emma and Lily (or any form of Lily) should be OUT because they are way too close to Emily.