Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Alternatives to Mary?

I adore the name Mary, both the sound of it and the figure it historically represents. But it's so bleeding popular! It's not necessarily trendy like Isabella or Sophie or the like, but it's a classic and consistently stays in the top.

Oddly enough, I've only met one Mary in my life.

I'm a fan of hyphenated names, so I've thought of pairing it with a family name to make it more distinctive: Mary-Frances, Mary-Elizabeth, Mary-Alice, Mary-Lorraine, Mary-Louise. I'd likely call them the full name. For those who think Mary-Elizabeth sounds like a mouthful, you're right! But I knew an Alexandra-Marie, and we never shortened it or had difficulties saying the whole thing. Occasionally we called her Alex-Marie. Maybe a Mary-Elizabeth could be Mary-Liz? (Hate Mary-Beth passionately). Are you strongly opposed to hyphens? How do you lot feel about them in general?

I can't really with names even in the top 1000. I've been 100% scarred by being called the number one name of my year of birth. There were at least three of me in every class, and growing up I always called myself random things, which hurt my mum's feelings, but I couldn't stand it at all.

(Courtney, by the by. I still hate it, and to this very day, I go by something else entirely).

Mary is I think the only name on my list that's in the top 1000.

So I guess I'm looking for alternatives to Mary? Not a fan of Maria, but am open to any other suggestions.

Malia, Maura, and Moira are all international versions of Mary. Malia is currently number 314, but the other two aren't in the top 1000.

Of your ideas, I like Mary Elizabeth the best.
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9812414

Current Favorites: Emmeline, Claire, Iris, Verity, Jane, Freya, Josephine, Quinn, Andromeda, Xanthe, Claudia, Kenzie, Molly, Henrietta, Elodie, Schuyler, Famke, Rowan, Addison, Jade

Caspian, Bennett, Rafferty, Jameson, Ezra, August, Phoenix, Holden, Grayson, Mercer, Josiah, Oliver, Harry, Callen, Arthur, Liam, Montgomery, Kai, Ulysses, Charlie

Mary is "bleeding popular"? Really? I don't know where you live but Mary has been falling in popularity for awhile now. Last year in the US, Mary was No# 112 (that's only 2,671 girls in the whole country were named Mary. Compare that figure to the No# 1 name of Sophia with 21,695 girls). Even Molly, which is often a nn for Mary, was higher at No# 78 (3,588 girls). Mary WAS No# 1 between the years 1912 to 1961 as per the SSA website but it's certainly not a popular choice now. I think you're eliminating so many wonderful choices from consideration if you don't even look at names in the top 1,000 (eg. Damaris was No# 1,000 with only 250 girls. I don't think that's too high a number, do you?). If you love Mary, then I would encourage you to choose it. It would be refreshing to hear a little Mary in the playground nowadays.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

There's the embellished versions like Mariel (I love that), Mariella and Marietta. You could consider something that relates to the Virgin Mary, or has the same 'mar' sound like...

Alona
    Altagracia
    Arama
    Dolores
    Guadalupe
    Launda
    Leira
    Lera
    Lola
    Lolita
    Maire
    Maira
    Maisie
    Molly
    Malia
    Marelda
    Maralyn
    Mara
    Mia
    Mari
    Maribel
    Marissa
    Marina
    Mariah
    Mariam
    Marion
    Mariana
    Marianda
    Marian
    Maricia
    Maricruz
    Marie (Would be nice to see this as a first name)
    Mariette
    Marigold
    Marika
    Maris
    Marisa
    Marisol
    Marlon
    Maura
    May (diminiutive of Mary)
    Mercy
    Mercedes
    Mimi
    Mitzi
    Moira
    Molara
    Naiara
    Polly
    Sadie (Diminiutive of Mercedes as well as Sarah)
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin