Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Zane, Zaine, or Zayne?

I love this name but there are so many versions and I can't decide which one is better.
    Zane, Zain, Zaine, Zayn, or Zayne? Which do you prefer?
    15 year old novelist on a continuous quest for new, unique character names

Loving:
    Asher, Cairo, Elijah, Everett, Ezra, Finn, Foster, Jensen, Jericho, Jude, Kent, Matteo, Oliver, Percy
    Everly, Hadley, Kara, Kimber, Luna, Marlie, Oakley, Raina, Raya

Many of the others are Muslim variants; the one in use by English-speakers is Zane. Zain and Zayn both mean "handsome, graceful" in Arabic, and it's a very common name in the Arab world & Pakistan.

Zayne and Zaine are more elaborate versions of Zane. I think the extra letters are unnecessary and clutter it up-- I prefer Zane by far.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

I prefer the simple Zane. It depends on which history you're going for, though--I've heard Zane is a variation of John (particularly appealing to me, as my brother, dad, grandfather, and great-grandfather are all John!), while Zain is an Arabic (?) name, meaning "beautiful" (I think? Sorry, don't quote me on that!). Zayn Malik's name is originally spelled Zain, so I would think Zayn is a form of Zain, while Zayne just seems to be a phonetic spelling of Zane. I wouldn't know about Zaine. Anyway, I like Zane best. It's quirky, but straightforward. Kind of like Jane, but for boys.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

I agree with Blade.

I vastly prefer Zane! It's super stream lined and handsome and quirky. If I had to go with one of the others, it'd be Zain.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

@ashley-- you're right. Zain and Zayn are the Arabic names, just transcribed with a different vowel. There is a guttural stop in between the two vowels in Arabic, so it's not pronounced exactly like Zane (it's Za-uh-ayn-- like you have to catch your breath in the middle). The beautiful name Zayna, on the other hand, is pronounced exactly as it's spelt. [It's my sister-in-law's name, and she is the only person I've ever met in my life who truly adores her own name, wouldn't change it for the world, and has felt so at every single stage of her development].
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq