Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do we all feel about...

Hannelore?
    (we're pronouncing it like Anna-Lora)

I'd never even considered this one until today.
    Hubby and i were talking about the names of our future children.. my SIL is pregnant, so baby names come up a lot. He says he'd like to honor his mother, which i don't mind.. because i'd like to honor my mother. Though i don't think we could do so with the same child as his mother's name is very obviously german, Helga Hannelore and my mother's name is the very obviously welsh: Rowena.

Rowena Hannelore just seems like a bit much to bestow onto one child.
    The variant Rowan is not an option. I don't like it and neither does my mother.
    His mother's first name, Helga is out of the question. I dislike that name with a passion. But Hannelore or a variant is not out of the question. I actually quite like it, i think. and my sweetheart isn't too picky about using variants. Just as long as it remains true to her original name as his mother is deceased and won't ever get to know her grandchild.
    I thought of Rowena Loreh (prn Lora) which he likes as well (and actually suggested that spelling).. but i think that it's missing some wow factor as i'm a huge fan of very unusal or exotic names. I also don't like the -ah sound at the end of both names.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

I think if you were going to pn it Anna-Lora you should name her that. I think it takes away some of the appeal of the name.
    I'd prn it HAH-ne-lo-rə. It's the traditional German way to prn it.
    I usually am not a fan of the traditional German names because I find them awkward but I really like this one. It's soft and romantic.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    I think if you were going to pn it Anna-Lora you should name her that. I think it takes away some of the appeal of the name.
    I'd prn it HAH-ne-lo-rə. It's the traditional German way to prn it.
    I usually am not a fan of the traditional German names because I find them awkward but I really like this one. It's soft and romantic.
    The name is traditional german because his mother was german and moved to this country after marrying his father. Anna-Lora is the way that she herself pronounced her name, which is why we pronounce it that way. I'm not sure if she "americanized' the pronounciation after she moved here or if it was always pronounced that way. I actually love both the names Anna and Lora, but i'd prefer to use his mother's name even if it's not pronounced exactly like it seems just to honor his mother.. a silent H isn't completely unheard of..
    that said.. i do like the pronounciation you mentioned. However, i never even knew this name existed before today, and as it was introduced to me by him, he pronounced it exactly as he'd always heard it pronounced.

I LOVE the name Hannelore totally go for it. Rowena is also great, both your maternal grandparents had good taste! Rowena Loreh looks nice but like you said I'm also not a fan of the "ah" sounds at the ends of both.

German's don't seem to do silent 'h' (considering town names like Heidelberg and Hamburg) Here is how they say Hannelore:

http://www.nordicnames.de/Aussprache.html
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.