Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's a girl!

Need help thinking of a girl name

We just found out we're having a little girl! She is our first baby! I was wondering if you ladies could give us some ideas that you think would be a cute name for a little Greek Italian baby. I'm petite (5'1, 118) and my husband is slender as well (5'7 140), so we're guessing she will be small too. Both hubby and I have dark hair, hazel eyes (hubby has blue/grey) and fair skin. We try to eat healthy and incorportate exercise into our daily routine. We're both very shy in public and too out spoken with close friends and family. I'm a math teacher and hubby is an engineer so we have a little nerdiness in us. I am orginally an art major though and love style and organization! So that's a little about the parents. Names we thought of so far are Ava, Emily and Zoey -- but their popularity kind of put us off and I'm a little unsure whether I really like Zoey. Maybe Marina? Could anyone else pick out names that you think would be fitting for our little girl? Thanks so much!
    Last edited by lots2heart; October 11th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Congratulations! I immediately thought of Eleni Giovanna on my list--it's probably not what you're looking for, but it struck me as perfect for a little Greek-Italian baby girl! And I think Eleni is very sweet and demure.

I really like Ava, Emily, and Zoey from what you've already considered, what about:

Stella
    Hannah
    Ivy
    Iris
    Imogen
    Tessa/Tess
    Julia
    Zara
    Cara/Clara/Cora
    Georgia
    Violet
    Sophie

Good luck!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

Love the suggestion of Eleni!

Well first of all CONGRATULATIONS!

Out of your suggestions I dislike Zoey, like Ava but it is getting really popular (I don't know if you are bothered about that) LOVE Emily.

Suggestions About Emily:
    1.Just use it. It is a lovely name but it depends on your felings on popularity.
    2. Use an alternative to Emily such as
    -Emmeline
    -Emiya
    -Emelia/Emilia
    -Eimear (prn ee-mer its irish)
    3. Use the greek version of Emily which is Aimilios although I can't really see that being your style.
    4. To make it slightly more unique spell it Emilie which I actually prefer and is the French version.

Suggestions for Ava:
    Eva
    Eve
    Avery
    Aria

Suggestions for Greek names:
    Artemis
    Athena
    Helena
    Ariadne
    Persephone

Or look up some more Greek names.

Other names that you might like:
    Charlotte
    Mila
    Cassia
    Isla
    Kirrily
    Lauren
    Eleanor/Eleanora
    Beatrix
    Eliza

If you like any of my suggestions then just post and I can help you make combos or if you need any more help.
    August John//Skandar Finn/Albert Igor/Samson Hugo/Dorothea Nim/Rani Jemima/Eimear Cosette/Olwen Eliora
    Julia Robin/Margo Milena/Nadia Willow/Primrose Iola/Cosmea Ruth/Emeline Hope/Ottilie Rowena/Miriam Celeste

Suggestions for petite, brunette, Greek-Italian 'nerdy artist' :

Charis: The Greek word for 'grace,' and the root of our word 'charity.' She gave her name to the three Graces in Greek mythology.
    Kyriaki nn Kyri: a popular name in Greece and just plain fun to say, it means "of the Lord."
    Iris: the Greek messenger goddess who rode rainbows between heaven and earth to speak with mortals; also a lovely flower
    Marina: as you suggested, an old saint's name shared by both Greece and Italy
    Melina: "honey"
    Melanthe: "a dark flower"
    Selena: goddess of the moon, an epithet of Artemis, and shared by both Greek and Italian as a given name
    Alyssa: a beautiful flower and a Greek name meaning 'rational'
    Cassia: the cinnamon plant, and a longstanding Greek saint's name
    Antonia: a name in use since Roman times, meaning "praiseworthy, beyond reproach"
    Cosima: Italian name meaning "universe"
    Daphne: a nymph associated with the laurel tree
    Eliana: another ancient Roman & Greek name, and the name of several saints
    Giada: Italian for 'Jade'
    Devany: an Irish name meaning "dark-haired"
    Brenna: "dark-haired"
    Ciara: "black-haired"
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)