Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone not used a name based on popularity and regreted it?

I am struggling with the popularity of 2 names of my top 5 list - Benjamin (#(24 in NY) and Ryan (#10 in NY). We seem to have dodged a bullet with Jack so far, he has yet to have another Jack in his class or camp group. I can almost guarantee there will another Ryan if we decide to use it since I have seen so many lately.

For some reason I think a boy could care less if there is another one around and tend to start using nicknames alot where as a girl would be more bothered by it.

I know alot of this is a personal decisions but has anyone else gone through this and what did you decide?
    Mom to Jack Louis, Claire Bonnie and baby BOY due Christmas Day
    He will be either Max ,Ben, Ryan or Patrick
    Vote on my names http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9751728

I have a friend (she's in Sweden) who always wanted to name her son Hugo, but it was in the top 10 the year before he was born so she went with Mio instead. She doesn't regret naming her son Mio, but she says that if she has another son, she will call him Hugo.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

No but I agree with you, I think a boy could care less. I could've cared less and I grew up with a top 10 name for my generation, I always had at least two other girls with the same name in my grade and usually one in my classes but I guess I felt secure in my identity and self esteem if that makes sense? Basically I always knew there were stand out things about me that separated me and the 5 other girls that shared my name so I wasn't afraid of being mixed up with them or forgotten in a sea of them. It probably helps that I love my name and think its beautiful

If you love the name and your gut tells you to use it then I say why not?
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~

I firmly believe that each person's personality makes the name unique to them, regardless of how popular it is. As a teacher, I can assure you that despite the many multiples I have of a name, each child is totally different and I associate the name to the person, not to the other people with the same name. If you love a name, use it!
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

I have a weird complex where I have NO desire to use an overly popular name...to the point where I could love a name but would not use it if it was in the top 10 (or even top 50). If you used a more popular name, maybe spruce it up with an uncommon middle! This was helpful to me growing up. I had a very common name and so I would often go by my 1st and middle to differentiate.

I do totally agree with the above comment though... each child makes their name unique in it's own right.
    Last edited by shutterbuglove; October 10th, 2012 at 12:37 AM.